log file keep growing

• Hi guys

I have an issue related to log file, it keeps growing until today and I can’t shrink it as the database is in mirroring state
    I checked the backup history , log backup run every 2 hour which I guess more than enough BUT last full backup is 2 weeks ago which is supposed to run every night . Could it be the cause of growing log file ?
    At the end I executed this statement “BACKUP LOG DBname TO DISK = 'NUL'” and I could shrink the file .
    The thing is I still need to find out the root cause

Any feedback is highly appreciated

Thanks

• WhiteLotus - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:47 PM

Hi guys

I have an issue related to log file, it keeps growing until today and I can’t shrink it as the database is in mirroring state
    I checked the backup history , log backup run every 2 hour which I guess more than enough BUT last full backup is 2 weeks ago which is supposed to run every night . Could it be the cause of growing log file ?
    At the end I executed this statement “BACKUP LOG DBname TO DISK = 'NUL'†and I could shrink the file .

Thanks

You would typically check the log_reuse_wait_desc value for the database in sys.databases. But you can't do that now as it's after the fact. Could be mirroring, could be a transaction hung up, the log_resuse_desc_value would tell you.
    But you just wiped out the log with backup to NUL and broke the log chain. And before that you said the last full backup was two weeks ago. So I hope you took a full backup ASAP.
    Not having the full backups working would not cause the log to grow. Not doing log backups frequent enough can cause the log to grow more than expected.
    I really hope you took a full backup.
    But you want to figure out why the full backups are not working. And look into backing up the log more frequently. If you see the log continuing to grow as it did now, just execute: 

SELECT name, log_reuse_wait_desc
    FROM sys.databases

That's how you can start troubleshooting the log growth. And don't backup to NUL. It's not a problem solving tool. It's just a way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Sue

• WhiteLotus - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:47 PM

At the end I executed this statement “BACKUP LOG DBname TO DISK = 'NUL'†and I could shrink the file .

Congratulations, you've just broken your log chain. If there's a disaster now you won't be able to restore past that backup to NUL.
    Take a full backup immediately.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • After you've done that, consider increasing the frequency of your log backups to see if it helps.

• Beatrix Kiddo - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 9:46 AM

After you've done that, consider increasing the frequency of your log backups to see if it helps.

Or at very least diagnose the cause of the full log before doing random things to it.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Sue_H - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:51 PM

WhiteLotus - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:47 PM

Hi guys

Thanks

You would typically check the log_reuse_wait_desc value for the database in sys.databases. But you can't do that now as it's after the fact. Could be mirroring, could be a transaction hung up, the log_resuse_desc_value would tell you.
    But you just wiped out the log with backup to NUL and broke the log chain. And before that you said the last full backup was two weeks ago. So I hope you took a full backup ASAP.
    Not having the full backups working would not cause the log to grow. Not doing log backups frequent enough can cause the log to grow more than expected.
    I really hope you took a full backup.
    But you want to figure out why the full backups are not working. And look into backing up the log more frequently. If you see the log continuing to grow as it did now, just execute: 

FROM sys.databases

That's how you can start troubleshooting the log growth. And don't backup to NUL. It's not a problem solving tool. It's just a way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Sue

Hi Sue 

Thanks for the reply …

After executing the script :

FROM sys.databases

The result is :

Name : DB 1
    Log_reuse_wait_dec  : LOG_BACKUP

Name : DB2
    Log_reuse_wait_dec  :REPLICATION

Nah actually we don’t use the replication anymore . So I am thinking to remove DB2 from replication by executing the script :

sp_removedbreplication  '<Database name>'

All replication jobs have been disabled

But for DB1 the full backup keeps failing and I really have no idea what happens

Any feedback is much appreciated

• GilaMonster - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:47 AM

Congratulations, you've just broken your log chain. If there's a disaster now you won't be able to restore past that backup to NUL.

The thing is log backup is still running every 2 hours . So it doesn’t break the log chain 

Feb  2 2017 12:00PM
    Feb  2 2017 10:00AM
    Feb  2 2017  9:50AM -> the time I Executed : BACKUP LOG DBname TO DISK = 'NUL'
    Feb  2 2017  8:00AM

If it is really needed Usually I run this statement between last log backup and next Full backup ( at around 5 PM ) but today I need to execute that statement this morning as we are running out of space  

cheers

• GilaMonster - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:47 AM

Thanks for the reply
    The thing is log backup is still running every 2 hours . So it doesn’t break the log chain

Feb  2 2017 12:00PM
    Feb  2 2017 10:00AM
    Feb  2 2017  9:50AM à the time I Executed : BACKUP LOG DBname TO DISK = 'NUL'
    Feb  2 2017  8:00AM

If it is really needed Usually I run this statement between last log backup and next Full backup ( at around 5 PM ) but today I need to execute that statement this morning as we are running out of space  

• WhiteLotus - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:38 PM

Hi Sue 

Thanks for the reply …

FROM sys.databases

The result is :

Nah actually we don’t use the replication anymore . So I am thinking to remove DB2 from replication by executing the script :

But for DB1 the full backup keeps failing and I really have no idea what happens

For DB2, yes if you aren't using replication you need to clean it all up. These Microsoft docs go through the steps to clean it out:
    How to: Disable Publishing and Distribution
    How to cleanup Replication Bits

For DB1 it tells you right there. You probably need to increase the frequency of the log backups.
    You always want to use that script to see why the log is growing.

And also - you absolutely 100% broke the log chain. Just because you did log backups afterwards means absolutely nothing. You basically create an empty log backup, have no full backups since so you put the company at risk and they are still at risk, At many companies, if they were to realize what all you have done with these backups, you would be fired.
    You really need to work on understanding backup and recovery. And you have got to get the full backups working. Take one manually and do it every day until you can get the job working.

Sue

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• JasonClark - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 9:51 PM

In mirroring if the server of mirror instance falls behind the server principal of instance then, the amount of active log space will grow.  In this case there is need to stop the database mirroring and  take a long backup of truncates log by applying that log backup to database of mirror and start mirroring again. Have a look here to go in detail:
    http://www.sqlmvp.org/transaction-log-is-too-big-or-growing-unexpectedly/

Hope! this might resolve your issue.

Thanks Jason. Very beneficial !

I just checked the MIRROR Server and last log backup was in nov last year. It doesn’t sound normal to you ?
    As it is only mirror server so I thought we don’t need a backup in the databases
    Is it correct ?

• Sue_H - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:23 PM

WhiteLotus - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:38 PM

Hi Sue 

Thanks for the reply …

FROM sys.databases

The result is :

For DB2, yes if you aren't using replication you need to clean it all up. These Microsoft docs go through the steps to clean it out:
    How to: Disable Publishing and Distribution
    How to cleanup Replication Bits

For DB1 it tells you right there. You probably need to increase the frequency of the log backups.
    You always want to use that script to see why the log is growing.

And also - you absolutely 100% broke the log chain. Just because you did log backups afterwards means absolutely nothing. You basically create an empty log backup, have no full backups since so you put the company at risk and they are still at risk, At many companies, if they were to realize what all you have done with these backups, you would be fired.
    You really need to work on understanding backup and recovery. And you have got to get the full backups working. Take one manually and do it every day until you can get the job working.

Sue

I just took a full backup . Thanks for the valuable advice.
    We are using Netbackup as the third party tool ..I am still really curious how to find out the cause of failed FULL BACKUP

• WhiteLotus - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:55 PM

GilaMonster - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:47 AM

Thanks for the reply

And that's why what you did is so dangerous. It looks like the log chain is still intact.

It's not!
    To restore to a point in time, you need ALL log backups taken since the last full. Including the one that you wrote to NUL. Since writing to NUL is essentially a delete, you don't have that log backup file.
    If you need to restore, it'll all look fine, until you get to the first log backup taken after that one that was written to NUL, which will throw an error saying that it can't be restored because it's too new. And there will be no way to get past that point in the log chain.

You do not ever need to take backups to NUL, and every time you do so you're risking your company's data and business.

I just checked the MIRROR Server and last log backup was in nov last year. It doesn’t sound normal to you ?

That's fine. A mirror database is not accessible and hence can't be backed up.

Note that the rest of Jason's comment is applicable for a case where the log reuse wait desc is MIRRORING, which you don't have and hence isn't applicable

I am still really curious how to find out the cause of failed FULL BACKUP

What's the error?

Gail Shaw

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply