Log file is in Use

• Hi.

I have taken a database backup from production and restored it in Dev server.The database size is of 160 GB.So i planned to shrink database file.i used the following statement

DBCC ShrinkFile('ChangeDM',1)

While executing the statement,I am getting the error "Cannot shrink log file 4 (ChangeDM_Log1) because all logical log files are in use".

I have used the Open tran Statement to view the open transaction in Database.

I get the following Results

Replicated Transaction Information:

Oldest distributed LSN : (2120809:18651:1)

Oldest non-distributed LSN : (2120809:18920:2)

Replication is configured in Production only and not in my Development server.

Please Help me to resolve the issue

• [font="Verdana"]Shirnking databases is not normally advised, if you have the resources. But since, this is a development database...you might want to try this code. Don't use it on production 🙂

USE MASTER

GO

--SET DATABASE IN SINGLE USER MODE AND ROLLBACK ANY UNCOMITTED TRANSACTIONS IMMEDIATELY.

ALTER DATABASE CHANGEDB SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

GO

USE CHANGEDB

GO

--REMOVE INACTIVE LOG PORTION AND TRUNCATE WITHOUT BACKUP

BACKUP LOG CHANGEDB WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

GO

--SHRINK LOG TO 100MB

DBCC SHRINKFILE ('CHANGEDB_LOG1',100)

GO

--SHRINK DATAFILE TO WHATEVER SPACE IS FREE

DBCC SHRINKFILE('CHANGEDB_DATA', NOTRUNCATE)

GO

DBCC SHRINKFILE('CHANGEDB_DATA', TRUNCATEONLY)

GO

ALTER DATABASE CHANGEDB SET MULTI_USER WITH NO_WAIT

GO

[/font]

-Hope is a heuristic search :smooooth: ~Hemanth
  • Bilichi (12/22/2008)

Replication is configured in Production only and not in my Development server.

Since that's a backup of a database that's replicated, there's replication set up in it as well. Create a publication, drop that publication and then disable publishing on that database.

What's the recovery model? Since it's a dev database you can set it to simple, then you don't need to worry about managing the log at all.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply