Log Backup size bigger than Full Backup

• Hi,

I have a 2008 database where I take Full backup on Saturday and Log backup (once in a day) for rest of the days. Here my log backup files are huge in size when comparing with Full Backup. I took Full backup with compression. Is there any way to bring down the log backup size.

Thanks in Advance.

• yes, run more frequent log backups!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• haichells (11/10/2014)

Hi,

I have a 2008 database where I take Full backup on Saturday and Log backup (once in a day) for rest of the days. Here my log backup files are huge in size when comparing with Full Backup. I took Full backup with compression. Is there any way to bring down the log backup size.

Thanks in Advance.

Because your log backups are only once a day, you stand a chance of losing a whole day's worth of work. For most production systems, I recommend no more than an hour between PIT log file backups. If you have the disk space, I also recommend taking a full backup every night and always keeping the latest 2 ready on disk along with all of their log file backups.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• haichells (11/10/2014)

Hi,

Thanks in Advance.

What are the disaster recovery requirements for this database ??

• Don't have any disaster recovery process for this instance...

• Can anyone guide me on the checkpoint command. Issuing a checkpoint and shrinking the log file will help to reduce the log file backup size???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply