Locking SqlServer Records

• I use SqlServer2000 database and MS ACCESS application with link to the sql server database.

when I make changes to the design of some tables and try to change data from ACCESS, I got message that tell me that there is another user editing this record,and I cant edit it.

• Not sure I can answer that - but I've had similar issues. Did you change the table design from SQL or Access?

We use a number of Access2003 databases with SQL2000 backend and I always make changes via SQL. I have had some problems with changing the table designs from within Access, corrupting the schema and requiring me to drop and rebuild tables.

Having said that - changes in SQL may not be reflected in Access until the database is closed/reopened, or linked-tables are refreshed.

Not sure if either of these could cause your error though.

Chris

• Thanks for reply

I change the design at SQL server and refresh the link in Access and have this problem

I have to export it to ACCSESS and drop it from SQL and then import it again from ACCESS so I can change data on it

• :ermm:

Very strange.

The only thing I can think of that might cause that is if you have the SQL table open in Enterprise Manager (eg: RMC on the table-name and select Open Table > Return All Rows) as this can set locks on the table/data.

Are you able to change the schema of other tables without causing the error? In other words, is there anything unusual about this particular table, or database?

Chris

• Hi

thank u for u replying

but actually its not only for particular table,it may happen with any table in the schema,and there no certain condition it happend

and I'm assure that the table is not opened that time

the only thing that I think about that there is an old locking of the table and its not released,but I dont know where can I find the locking log or the locking status of the tables in the database.

• Try to delete the link tables and link again,it is something to do with index

• I have had similar issues when the table included a column that used the bit datatype. Setting a default value of 0 fixed the problem.

• I tried this but doesnt work out too

even when I drop the added field it still the same,cant edit the table throu ACCESS

but for the new records added after the design changes,its ok I can add and edit the new records

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply