Local Service Account Logins

• I am setting up accounts for a vendor intranet product. The following logins are created on my SQL server.

MyDomain\WebServer1$

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

On the WebServer1 IIS management, the application pool identify of the product is "NetworkService".

Please help me clarify two issues.

1. If I understand it correctly, "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" is an Local Service Account from the SQL Server itself. Since the product is not on the SQL server, "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" login does not need to be be created. Is this right?

2. The login "MyDomain\WebServer1$" is created for any sql request from the server WebServer1's Local Service account. Whether the application pool identify is "NetworkService" or "LocalSystem", this login will work. Am I right on this?

Thanks.

• it's all detailed here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks.

I think I understand it now. Because NetworkService or LocalSystem accounts are LOCAL accounts, they are not visible outside the local server and makes no difference outside the server.

So on the SQL server, the login created for webserver1 is MyDomain\WebServer1$. There is no need to further specify NetworkService or LocalSystem account.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply