linked server. To use or not to use

• I have a couple tables and or viewes that i want to copy over to a different box daily. I was planning on using linked servers as opposed to ssis.

Are the disadvantages to using linked server?

• no, they are equally good

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• captcooldaddy (11/28/2011)

I have a couple tables and or viewes that i want to copy over to a different box daily. I was planning on using linked servers as opposed to ssis.

Depends on your security and where you want to put the effort into the process. SSIS can more easily break down the delivery into controlled row volume for logging purposes and the like. Linked servers let you rely completely on T-SQL.

If it's just a Truncate/Reload process, it's more a matter of taste and security than it is of the power of the mechanism.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Linked servers are good for small batches that involve little or no data movement.

SSIS is much more efficient when moving huge amounts of data.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Try replication between the two server.

• alaguganesha1983 (11/29/2011)

Try replication between the two server.

Seems to me a bit of overkill for just a couple of tables...

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (11/29/2011)

alaguganesha1983 (11/29/2011)

Try replication between the two server.

Seems to me a bit of overkill for just a couple of tables...

Agreed with this and with your previous post: if there is a large amount of data, SSIS is probably the way I would go.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• captcooldaddy (11/28/2011)

I have a couple tables and or viewes that i want to copy over to a different box daily. I was planning on using linked servers as opposed to ssis.

It really depends on the size of the data you will be transferring over network.

If the data is huge I would suggest NOT to use the linked servers.

I have seen it many times that linked server jobs get hung when data size is huge & once they are hung even if you try to kill that process, the rollback is not easy. Some times you are left with restarting the SQL server services as your only option in those cases :hehe:.

Sujeet Singh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply