Linked Server to Oracle data source Failing

• Hi All,

Working with SQL Server 2008 R2. I've created a Linked server to an Oracle source, but when I right click on the Linked Server name and test it, it fails with the following:

Cannot initialize the data source "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "LinkedServername"

OLE.DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "LinkedServername" retunred message "ORA-12154:TNS:Could not resolve the connect identifier specified".

I've successfully created the System DSN in ODBC Data Source Administrator, and when I test the data source from there it completes successfully.

Thanks

Denesh

• You have to configure your oracle client using a file named "tnsnames.ora" that have to be placed under network\admin in your client directory.

The file should contain something similar to this:

your_server_alias =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = your_server_name)(PORT = 1521))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVICE_NAME = service_name_or_sid)

)

)

For instance:

HR_DB =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hrdb.internal.mynetwork)(PORT = 1521))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVICE_NAME = HR)

)

)

I know, it sucks.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Hi Gianluca,

Apologies for that...wasn't sure if I'd posted in the right forum

• Hi Gianluca,

Thanks for the reply.

I have done that as well and that is what is confusing me. I've created a System DSN which tests succesfully. From what I understand, the DSN makes use of the TNSNAMES.ORA file

So if the DSN tests successfully, not sure why the Linked Server is failing with the TNS error

• Are you using the exact same alias in tnsnames.ora and in the linked server?

I'm not sure, but it could be case-sensitive.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Hi Gianluca,

The names I was using for the Data Source and the Product Name in the Linked server were not correct. It's now working!.

Thank you for your help

• You're welcome.

I did nothing, you managed by yourself.

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply