linked server question

• hey all

guys i created a linked server connection to a remote server ...the reason why i did this is that i want to create a shadow linked table...they are linked through primary key and every record added there the primary key of it should be added to my table...how should i do that?? how can i link my table to the key of the remote table please help

• I didn't understand completely your question, but it seems to me you are trying to update a remote table on every update to the local table, using the primary key as condition.

This can be simply achieved with a triggers on the local table.

Is this what you're trying to do?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• its the oposite when the remote table is updated a record or deleted...i want that to be reflected on my table...if a record is deleted..deletion should occur..i thought about it and i can do a vbcode in my application that can do that ...is there any other way?? and if there is no other way there is no reason for the linked server

• Ifyou have to update the local table (let's say table A) according to the changes in the remote table (table B), maybe you should do the opposite: link the server holding table A in the server holding table B and put a trigger to reflect the changes through the linked server.

If you don't need to do anything else in the link A-->B, maybe you don't need the linked server.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• this can be an issue because i am not authorized to do anything with the remote database[:s] yesterday i was thinking about it ... maybe i can a loop in my application that checks item by item in the remote table and the local table...if exists a item found on my table not found on the remote table then i should add it with the default values...if the opposite occurs then i simply delete the record the only use of the linked server is that it makes querying possible...or do you think else wise?.... the main reason i am reluctant to do that because i think it will slow down my application

• For sure checking the two tables for differences will slow down your application, especially if a remote table is involved. You could set up a SSIS package to propagate the changes from the remote server and schedule the execution every 5 minutes or less, depending on the time taken and on the locks in the application accessing the local table.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• ok i didn't mention this ..i am a newbie in sql server i never heard of SSIS i am going to research it now ...do u think its going to help...thanks for your time

• You'll find many resources on SSIS (Sql Server Integration Services) on this site as well. I think this could be a productive approach, but I don't know exactly your needs ad restrictions, so don't exclude other possibile solutions.

Regards

Gianluca

-- Gianluca Sartori

• again thanks for your help Mr.Gianluca i am going to research it and see if it fits my needs

• How many rows are in the tables? If it is too many, you may need to figure out a different approach -

But you may want to try this:

INSERT INTO LocalTable(...)

SELECT ...

FROM [LinkedServer].DB.dbo.RemoteTable rt

LEFT JOIN dbo.LocalTable lt ON

rt.PrimaryKey = lt.PrimaryKey

WHERE lt.PrimaryKey IS NULL

DELETE lt

FROM dbo.LocalTable lt ON

LEFT JOIN [LinkedServer].DB.dbo.RemoteTable rt

WHERE rt.PrimaryKey IS NULL

UPDATE lt SET

FROM dbo.LocalTable lt ON

INNER JOIN [LinkedServer].DB.dbo.RemoteTable rt

WHERE ...

HTH.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply