Linked server

• I created a linked server in ServerA to ServerB but another user created linked server in ServerB to ServerA.

Does it cause performance issue?

• Depends on the type of activity from A to B and vice-verse. Are there going to be distributed transactions involved? More details of the nature of usage will help in getting a better answer.

- Rex

• the mere existence of linked servers will not affect anything; it's the same as your phone having my number, and my phone having yours; they are independent.

now if you try something crazy and complex, like having Server A use Server B's linked server to update Server A All over again, then it might get to be a problem, or perform slowly, but typically that would never actually happen.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Even if it does cause potentially more network traffic as a result of normal usage, that is the point of creating the connection from server A to B was to server a purpose, right? This won't necessarily constitute an "issue" with performance. You network should be scaled to handle the traffic if it does become slow.

----------------------------------------------------

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply