Life Without Keyboards

• Touchscreens just suck the life out of your battery, whether its your phone or your mobile computer. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• In theory touch screens may suck the life out of batteries. In practice, the IPad can get 10 hours and none of my laptops have ever been able to do more than 6 hours on a battery charge.

• krowley (2/8/2011)

In theory touch screens may suck the life out of batteries. In practice, the IPad can get 10 hours and none of my laptops have ever been able to do more than 6 hours on a battery charge.

Apple advertises that but that's pure baloney, I have never got that out of my iPad.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• What battery life do you get out of your Ipad?

• TravisDBA (2/8/2011)

krowley (2/8/2011)

In theory touch screens may suck the life out of batteries. In practice, the IPad can get 10 hours and none of my laptops have ever been able to do more than 6 hours on a battery charge.

Apple advertises that but that's pure baloney, I have never got that out of my iPad.:-D

I have. It depends on the usage, but I have gotten a full day of fairly constant "doing stuff" on my iPad. Definitely more than 8 hours.

Note that 10 hours of life doesn't mean 10 hours every time. It means that if you have lowered screen brightness, and aren't hitting the CPU hard constantly, you can get there. For me, taking notes, getting email, it has lasted well beyond 8 hours. Even my daughter has seen 8+ hours while watching Netflix (to my dismay)

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/8/2011)

TravisDBA (2/8/2011)

krowley (2/8/2011)

I have. It depends on the usage, but I have gotten a full day of fairly constant "doing stuff" on my iPad. Definitely more than 8 hours.

Note that 10 hours of life doesn't mean 10 hours every time. It means that if you have lowered screen brightness, and aren't hitting the CPU hard constantly, you can get there. For me, taking notes, getting email, it has lasted well beyond 8 hours. Even my daughter has seen 8+ hours while watching Netflix (to my dismay)

Wow, that should be an iPad commercial by itself. Anybody planning on watching that much tv I would think would want to park on the couch and watch the big screen. To actually choose the iPad instead means it really must do a good job.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I was pleasantly surprised recently to find that my iPad fits perfectly on top of the digital readout screen on my recumbent exercise bike. What's even better is that the iPad's touchscreen interface is perfect for someone sitting and riding the bike. My legs are moving, but upper body is relatively still so I can read and it is easy to reach over and touch a link or re-size the screen contents while I catch up on the news (text or video) and read my emails. And it sure makes the time go by a LOT faster!

:exclamation:I would like to emphasize this is a stationary bicycle. I don't recommend this for the non-stationary type. 😉

• Please take into consideration those of us with chronic sinus conditions. I remember as an operator being seated in front of the console and having a large attack. When I looked up I saw why they say "green screen". Eww.

Now with gesture controls based on full body I could lose a whole day at one blow.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Charles Kincaid (2/8/2011)

Please take into consideration those of us with chronic sinus conditions. I remember as an operator being seated in front of the console and having a large attack. When I looked up I saw why they say "green screen". Eww.

Now with gesture controls based on full body I could lose a whole day at one blow.

Wiping your nose on your sleeve could diagnose your problem on WebMD and call in a script to your physician for you to pick up at the pharmacy! Think of the synergy! :w00t::hehe:

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/8/2011)

I need something. I find that I can type at 60-70% of my keyboard speed on the iPad virtual keyboard, but I need the audible clicks. Without them, I'm a little lost.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can type just about full speed on the iPad (landscape only). Fast enough that I'm no longer planning on picking up a keyboard for it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am totally in favor of a projected keybd - so long as it is responsive enough to fast typing.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply