Learning Intermediate t-sql

• I've been around SQL for many years (started with DB2 in 1989). Up to now in my career (I'm a Data Architect) I've worked with the design aspects. Then the modeling tool created the SQL, and I handed it to the DBA. But I've never really had to do much with it (selects, a few simple joins, create DDL, etc.) So I'm pretty familiar with relational theory and databases, and most fairly simple to intermediate SQL.

But the world is changing, and the skill set for most Data Architects is now expected to include a pretty advanced knowledge of SQL. What resources are out there for the person familiar with SQL who now has to use it in a bit more advanced way?

Steve

• I have found that the MS Press books by Itzik Ben-Gan to be very good. There are several for SQL 2008. Plus, a lot of resources right here on SSC.

• Yep, absolutely, Itzik's books are the way to go.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply