.ldf is getting huge and not sure what to do

• Okay, I'm a newbie to SQL. I have a physical log file that is 39 gig. Is there anyway to get this smaller. Based on what I've read so far, it looks like doing a dbcc shrinklog, NO_LOG, or Truncate_No will not make the physical file smaller, correct? I'm backing up the log files and the database on a regular basis, however the physical file is not shrinking.

Little help please?

• Seems to be a VERY popular subject lately! Check this other thread going on. It should help. Re-read Steve's comments in the first link after you've accomplished what you want to do.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic470281-146-1.aspx

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic457658-357-1.aspx

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Backing up the log TRUNCATES the log (meaning - it will remove transactions that have been committed -and if replication is in play, have replicated - so that the space can be reused), but it does NOT make the file smaller.

The logic is - if the file has needed to grow this big, it will need to do so again, so why shrink and grow over and over.

Check for open transactions, check your replication status, read the threads above.And if possible - DON't shrink.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• If you had an exception, like a really unsuallly large load or update etc, that caused the log file to grow then perform the t-log backup and you can follow up with a shrink. If it is growing to the size it is based on normal activity, if possible leave it alone. If a third party tool created the log file at a larger size than desired, you can perform the following but the backups will be critical. I would only do this if I understood that it was created initially to large and that I do not have this volume, otherwise the cost of growing and shrinking the log file is to expensive(io etc).

-- backup the tranlog

BACKUP Log dbname TO disk = 'location\filename.trn'

-- put datbase in simple mode,shrink logfile, put bak in full mode

--

ALTER DATABASE dbname SET RECOVERY SIMPLE

--

-- can use statement like this to empty if needed

-- dbcc shrinkfile (logfilename,emptyfile)

--

dbcc shrinkfile (dbname,size in mb's)

ALTER DATABASE dbname SET RECOVERY FULL

-- Back up the database.

-- this backup is very critical so that you have a recovery point, without it you

-- could end up unrecoverable

--

BACKUP DATABASE dbname

TO disk ='location\filename.trn'

--

Good luck;

Mark

• Actually, while I agree with your comments, especially about knowing what is causing the growth and the expense of growing (and shrinking), the tasks can be performed as simply as..

BACKUP Log dbname TO disk = 'location\filename.trn' with truncate_only

dbcc shrinkfile (logfilename,xxx) --xxx is the desired file size in Mb

BACKUP DATABASE dbname TO disk ='location\filename.trn'

Even if you don't issue a shrinkfile, ALWAYS do a full backup of the database immediately after you truncate the log.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• As Tom mentioned, if you mess with the log (NO_TRUNCATE, NO_LOG, etc), always run a a backup.

You should always determine what caused growth and then decide if it's regular or a one-time event. You could shrink after a one-time event, but you don't want to regularly do this.

• [font="Tahoma"]In addition to the above responses you may wish to refer this KB as well,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317375

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873235[/font]

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply