Latest Service Packs for SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Release 2?

• What are the latest Service Packs for SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Release 2? And if I apply the latest SPs do I need to apply any Hotfixes and/or Cumulative Updates? Does the SPs work across Editions (for example, does a SP work for Standard and Enterprise Editions of SQL Server 2008?)

Thanks in advance, Kevin

• kevinsql7 (6/15/2012)

What are the latest Service Packs for SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Release 2? And if I apply the latest SPs do I need to apply any Hotfixes and/or Cumulative Updates? Does the SPs work across Editions (for example, does a SP work for Standard and Enterprise Editions of SQL Server 2008?)

Thanks in advance, Kevin

For 2008 service pack 3 is available

For 2008 R2 service pack 1 is available

Whether you apply any CU's is entirely up to you.

The same SP applies to each edition with the exception of Express edition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks Perry. I have another question related to adding the SP for the SQL Server 2008 R2 Client Tools.

For SQL Server 2008 R2 SP 1, I have found the following exe on http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26727:

SQLServer2008R2SP1-KB2528583-x64-ENU.exe

This looks like the correct exe for adding the SP to the Database but do I use this same exe to add the SP to the SQL Server 2008 R2 Client Tools? I see another exe on the site named:

SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe

Should I use this exe to upgrade the Client Tools Software?

Thanks, Kevin

• kevinsql7 (7/5/2012)

Thanks Perry. I have another question related to adding the SP for the SQL Server 2008 R2 Client Tools.

For SQL Server 2008 R2 SP 1, I have found the following exe on http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26727:

This looks like the correct exe for adding the SP to the Database but do I use this same exe to add the SP to the SQL Server 2008 R2 Client Tools? I see another exe on the site named:

SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe

Should I use this exe to upgrade the Client Tools Software?

Thanks, Kevin

As the name implies, "SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe" is the SSMS (R2), nothing else. If you want to install SSMS, use this file.

"SQLServer2008R2SP1-KB2528583-x64-ENU.exe" is the service pack 1 for R2.....

• I run the Service Pack installs on any machine that has components of SQL Server, including workstations with Management Studio. The SP installer will upgrade whatever SQL components if finds on the machine it runs on.

Dan

• kevinsql7 (7/5/2012)

Use this file

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply