Large Database Replication Initialization

• I am looking for some SQL Server data replication ideas.  Recently, while trying to initilaize a large amount of data, I maxed out our network connection.  We need to come up with a way to initilaize a subscriptions for SQL without causing that much of a network overhead.  After it is initialized, then the transactions can be applied through normal SQL Server replication.  Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Joshua
  • Create the Initial snapshot to a Database in Head Office, then burn it to disk, ship it out to region, attach Database then configure Subscriber from Head Office.

Kindest Regards,

• You could allow subscriptions to be created by attaching a copy of a subscription database, create a subscription at head office then copy the subscription db to CD and send to other office and then attach the subscription

• Is the replication within your LAN or are you trying to replicate out over a T1 or Something? Also are the Snapshots being generated local to the distributor or on a separate network resource?

============================
    Richard S. Hale
    Senior Database Marketing Developer
    Business Intelligence
    The Scooter Store
    RHale@TheScooterStore.com
    DSK: 830.627.4493

• We are going across the WAN, with a not so optimized network connection.  It used to take 5 hours to reinitialize the subscription.  The Distributor is a local source and that is where the snapshots are being generated.

• How big are your snapshots?? in MB just a ballpark

Richard S. Hale
    Business Intelligence
    The Scooter Store

• about 1.2 GB

• There isnt any way really to optimize the BCP portion of snapshot reintialization. I would suggest unfortunately to eliminate the network as the others have suggested and burn to DVD.

Richard S. Hale
    Business Intelligence
    The Scooter Store

• Thank you all for your responses.  I have decided to zip the snapshot and ftp it to the other server and deliver the databases manually.

Joshua Bylotas

Senior Database Administrator

Regency Thermographers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply