Knock, Knock…Who's There?

• What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

• Humo(u)r: Now we are getting into an area where I have some expertise. I have actually studied the stuff. I love most forms of humor from jokes to puns, shaggy-dog stories to Irish bulls, slapstick to irony, I love almost all of it.

About the only kind I don't like is mean-spirited humor. Being vicious isn't funny. Humiliation isn't funny. Embarrassment can be funny but it's a fine line between embarrassed and humiliated.

As to the British/American humour debate, just remember that Americans generally don't watch movies or tv so we can think. We do so to avoid thinking. H.L. Mencken said it best, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

FWIW, ducks aren't universally funny. They would be except for Donald. An unintelligible, angry duck isn't funny. The only thing remotely funny thing about him is that he wears a shirt, but no pants.

One of the few universal funnies is the groin hit. Sure, it's over-done and predictable. But when Dad tosses the ball to Junior and Junior hits straight to Dad's jewels, that's funny. Unless you're Dad, then it just hurts. I need an ice-pack.

Lux

[font="Arial"]Ridiculum Ergo Sum[/font]

• Shaun McGuile (7/23/2008)

oh don't get me started.....*wagon arrives, men get out, attach straight jacket and gag, shaun is removed*

(well one of my clan did build the first inconvienience store).

I have to wear a straight jacket. The Gay ones don't look good on me. :w00t:

Now that I've been offensive let me further go on to point out that I tell Fat Jokes, Indian Jokes, Programmer Jokes. Can you tell that I'm a fat programmer with native heiratage?

Indian say, "How?" Whit man say, "Why?"

Let me end this tirade with a poem. Not one of mine though.

I’m fat.

I’m fat.

That’s all there is to that.

You might think it etiquette to say that I am heavy set

Or just big boned

Ya wanna bet?

I’m fat.

-- Victor Buono

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Richard Gardner (7/23/2008)

What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• a carrot

• I view laughter as medicine. I am the biggest cut-up and, fortunately, I work with light-hearted people.

CUSA - I love it!

Here's a joke to offend people on both sides of the pond:

Do you know why the Siamese twins moved to England?

To give the other one a chance to drive!

BTW, any of you Brits remember The Two Ronnies? Boy, they were funny. I used to watch them all the time.

• Well, I can't tell a joke to save my life but I'd like to think I have a sense of humor anyway. I'm a CUSA but I tend to find British humour funnier because US humor tends to aim for the lowest common denominator and I like jokes that require some grey matter intervention. Plus I have a lot of British friends so I'm probably more in tune with "Britspeak" than your average CUSA.

Anyway, regarding humor at the workplace: a friend of mine once noted that there are two kinds of people - those who are nice to their friends and mean to their enemies, and those who give their friends all sorts of shit and are polite to the people they don't like. Trying to mix those two types of people can lead to a lot of grief. But, I think each officeplace tends to favor one sort or the other.

I am firmly in category 2. If I don't like someone, I will be polite and do what I need to to work with them but I'm not going to go out of my way to interact. But, my friends and I (at the office or otherwise) tend to tease each other all the time and say things that an outsider might think are mean, but given our dynamic are part of the friendship behavior. Luckily where I work now, most of us are like this so it is a very friendly environment of "razzing". In fact during my interviews I was told (warned) that this is the way people are here and they were specifically looking for others who were the same, so they would feel comfortable and fit in.

Several other places I have worked, although almost everyone was very nice, the people there were more in the first category, so interactions (to me) seemed rather dull. Friendly, but dull. I didn't make lasting friendships at these places the way I have in the environments where we all give each other crap.

All that said, it is important to recognize when someone doesn't fit into your own category - I realized during a discussion with my best friend not too long ago that I don't tease her the way I tease most of my other friends because I must have just sensed that she isn't into teasing. I never consciously thought about it, I just didn't do it. She's still my best friend because of all the other things that make her a great person but we don't have that one dynamic going that I do with almost all my other friends and my honey.

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• Even though I'm from the U.S., I do enjoy the British comedies that are shown on our public broadcasting system. It is unfortunate that most of them seem to be from the 70's and 80's.

Maybe I'm different from others in the U.S. because I'm from North Dakota which many Americans believe is part of Canada.

• Val Byref (7/23/2008) unless you count Mr. Bean, which is way funnier than the CUSA "Family Circus" syndicated cartoon by Bill Keane..

Ugh, Family Circus. It's in nearly every newspaper comics page and those of us who read newspapers look at it and wonder, "Why? Why?" It's so unfunny that it hurts. I'm embarrassed to think that Brits might be judging the state of American humor by the contents of our comics page.

Who thinks Family Circus is funny? And Marmaduke?

The funniest answer I ever saw to this question was in an episode of the Simpsons, in which Homer is reading the newspaper, chuckles and says, "Heh heh... that Marmaduke."

• There's three kinds of people: Those who can count and those who can't!

I was OK, but I'm fine now!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious." - George Bernard Shaw

• No we judge the USA on seeing

Dubya Bush, the Simpsons, American dad, Family Guy, South Park and Worlds dumbest criminals.:D

Oh yes and the Truth (a.k.a. Dilbert) by Scott Adams. 😉

hence the oft used phrase - 'Only in America (a.k.a. the USA)...' 😀

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• There are only two kinds of people; those who divide people into groups and those who don't.

• Scott Herbert (7/22/2008)

Select * from Lookup.Humour

Don't forget the "with" clause (i.e., "with gender (Male)")

Many studies (yes humor has been studied) show men and women find different things funny.

• I prefer the geek version - there's 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

• Family Guy is AWESOME! Oops is my CUSA showing?

Anyway, in reality, W is not any worse than most of our other presidents, just funnier.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply