Killed/Rollback processes hogging CPU resources

• I have a test database for the end users to test their select queries for reports.

One of my users is writing queries that cause locking in the database. I killed the process last evening and they are in Killed/Rollback status but are still hogging 90% of the CPU resources for the past 12 hrs. I tried killing them several times but no go.

I know that the best way to clear of these processes is by restarting SQL Server. If that is not an option is there is any other way we can clean these processes?

Also the user running these queries has a read only and create view access to the database. From my experience processes that go into Kill/Rollback state after you kill them are processes associated with some update transaction. Since the user as far as i know is running Select commands would an infinite loop cause this ?

thanks

nina

• I'm not sure what might cause it, but it's probably a runaway process somehow and a restart is the only way to remove this.

• when u give hte kill command again, does it show the expected rollback time.. is it any reasonable time?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply