Joining the darkside

• Jeff Moden (9/18/2008)

What ever possesed you to join the darkside?

mmhhh.... money? like it happend to me about seven years ago? 😉

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Heh... yeah, money will temp even the stoutest of souls. That's why I found a good SQL Server DBA job... 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (9/18/2008)

You don't know the power of the darkside!

😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• rbarryyoung (9/19/2008)

Jeff Moden (9/18/2008)

😀

Heh... "These are not the droids you want... move along." 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Heh indeed. 😛

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• rbarryyoung (9/19/2008)

Jeff Moden (9/18/2008)

😀

Oh I do. Worked in an Oracle shop for a bit and it's cursors. Oracle bods seem to love 'em :w00t:

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Jeff Moden (9/19/2008)

Heh... yeah, money will temp even the stoutest of souls.

I would even go back to Adabas and even Total if the money is good enough 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • mark lake (3/19/2008)

I've recently (about 5 minutes ago) accepted a job as an Oracle DBA, Don't suppose anyone knows of any Oracley type websites that are as good as sqlservercentral.com? I've come across a few but none seem as good as this place.

I'm only doing it for a learning experience and to bump up my all round DBA skills, not to mention having a good understanding of Oracle can only help nowadays.

And before you get really ticked off with SQL*Plus, have a look at TOAD (I think it's now on version 9). A superb GUI for doing just about anything in Oracle - especially if you are a DBA.

• Michael Meierruth (9/22/2008)

mark lake (3/19/2008)

I've recently (about 5 minutes ago) accepted a job as an Oracle DBA, Don't suppose anyone knows of any Oracley type websites that are as good as sqlservercentral.com? I've come across a few but none seem as good as this place.

I'm only doing it for a learning experience and to bump up my all round DBA skills, not to mention having a good understanding of Oracle can only help nowadays.

And before you get really ticked off with SQL*Plus, have a look at TOAD (I think it's now on version 9). A superb GUI for doing just about anything in Oracle - especially if you are a DBA.

I would agree Toad as a GUI is kind of cute but as a product it sucks.

Just to mention a couple of unwanted by products of having Toad...

Toad has a natural tendency to keep sessions open even after you have shutdown your PC.

Toad initiates a Full Table Scan on any table you try to "browse"

If you can stay away from Toad... stay away.

Use Oracle Grid Control -revamp version of OEM which is free!

If you are in a multi platform shop don't go with Toad either, DBArtisan is much better and even cheaper.

Just for you to feel how bad is having Toad in a Prod environment let me share this with you... we had to write a login trigger that checks the "program" that it's connecting, if we find "toad" we kill the session.

• We use Oracle Sql Developer here. Most of the developers here use it. It allows you to connect to Oracle and Sql Server from the same tool. That is pretty handy since we support both environments. It is free too.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/sql_developer/index.html

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply