Joining on VarBinary(8000) column

• Hi All,

Having inherited a poorly performing database we've redesgined and come up with some potential issues.

One table we have a surrogate key made up of 16 columns, previously there was clause on the join for all 16 columns. We had changed this to a checksum however it became apparent that there was an instance where a duplicate value appeared. As a result we are now moving to make this a HashByte column using SHA2_256 algorithm.

What we are now concerned with performance of the join given the column is varbinary(8000

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Wow!  Can you find the original designers and yell at them a bit 😉

I would look for a completely different alternative if possible.  Is this a data warehouse?  IF POSSIBLE: I would create a key on a single identity column.  Then, within a load procedure/process, I would manage data integrity.  In other words, I would shift the responsibility of managing data integrity from database objects like keys to the loading process.  I would also offload referential integrity to the loading process.  Again, since I don't know the context you are operating within, none of this may be possible.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply