Join Question

• I am really drawing a blank on this one, and I was hoping that someone could help.  I have three tables InspectionsComplete, ClerkCitations, and OutletCitations.  The scenario is that when an inspection is complete and there is a citation issued, either clerk or outlet, the necessary information is stored in the corresponding ClerkCitations or OutletCitations tables that are all related to the InspectionsComplete table through the InspectionID.  What I need is all of the inspections that did not have a citation issued.

Any ideas...

• There's many ways to structure it...

In the WHERE clause, you can do:

where not InspectionID in (Select InspectionID from ClerkCitations)
      and not InspectionID in (Select InspectionID from OutletCitations)

or you could left join on both tables and in the WHERE clause do:

where ClerkCitations.CitationID is null
      and OutletCitations.CitationID is null 

or you could put a subquery in the SELECT clause returning the Citation count

The best bet for performance is to put a flag or a count in a field in the InspectionsComplete table at the time you insert the data and query against that.

Because these inspections are a slice of history I don't think you have to worry about normalization issues (but that's just me.)

• Thanks much.  I ended up using the top solution.  Thanks again...

• Try using (not) exists instead of (not) in. The exists halts when it finds one record, in requires finding them all before comparision.

• True. If you're not going to use my final recommendation, NOT EXISTS is probably the way to go.

I wouldn't be surprised if SQL Server optimized all three (NOT IN, NOT EXISTS, LEFT JOIN... WHERE NOT... IS NULL) to the same plan, though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply