Java application on Linux -- sql server database

• Hi All,

We have developed an application in Java deployed on Linux backend database sql server 2000.We are getting an error timeout expired while accessing some tables. I am trying to do the reindexing but it is also taking long time to complete. Still there is no use. What will be the problem?

Thanks in advance

Ramaa

• There are tons of possibilities including exclusive locks and deadlocks that will cause almost instant timeouts... The use of sp_Lock followed by the use of sp_Who2 for the offending SPID may quickly give you a clue as to who the resource hog is.  At work, I've found the usual culprit is someone who has started a transaction but has neither committed it nor rolled back because they wanted to see how it would turn out, didn't want to wait, and went to lunch.  Some apps sometimes create similar problems... it might not be very easy to find.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Hi Jeff,

Sorry for late giving reply 'n' thank you very much for your answer. I found out the problem.

Ramaa

• Care to share the details?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply