It's The Job

• GSquared (9/24/2009)

... "it's okay to be the most important person in the world, so long as you realize everyone else is too."

Completely agree! Good quote.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Id like to point out that the idea of people being left or right 'brained', or that one side is logical and the other creative is a myth. Just not true.

A similar myth is that there are multiple intelligences, also not true. There is no strong evidence for this idea.

What seems to be the case is that there is such a thing as general intelligence, and that people gain expertise in particular areas through practice and education.

It is just a fact of life that the people in the IT department are on average smarter than the people in the marketing department

• I think software is something I can understand and implement but I don't know people and a lot of the complicated grey areas. So I generally think marketing, sales and other people professions would be very hard for a technical person because there are no fixed results.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I have learned thru years of experience that the IT Expert has a wealth of knowledge that the end user desperately desires.

By teaching what we see as "mundane tasks" that we take for granted can simplify and speed the workload of the end users. One simple example is filtering on an excel spreadsheet.

By sharing your knowledge to the end user you:

1 - Improve their ability to do their job faster and with greater accuracy.

2 - Empower them to do their own work without continuously calling for assistance.

3 - Build a good trust and working relationship between the you and the end user.

4 - Once something does go wrong - they will (without the fear of admitting that they made a mistake) notify you and ask for assistance instead of hiding the situation or trying to put the data back how it was prior to the incident causing additional harm to the data.

The only drawback on this is... The end users will treat you like a genius and be in awe of you. As described earlier in this topic, you must keep your ego in check. Don't let the constant praising go to your head.

I like to think that the more you know equates to the more you realize you don't know equates to the more good you can do equates to the more harm you can do.

Joe

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply