Issues with building data source views on underlying databases with no primary keys

• I'm trying with little success to develop a report model based on a data source view created from a database structure that does not contain any keys. As a result, I'm trying to add logical primary keys etc to each dsv table. The dsv doesn't crash but, when I run the add report model based on that dsv it runs right through to the end almost, then throws up a number of Role errors along the lines of

"The relation property of the Role 'xxxx' refers to the Target end of the Relation 'Table1-Table2' which is not bound to a set of uniquely constrained columns for the table 'Table2'. Roles with cardinality of one or optionalone require relational...'

I can't continue the text of the error as at this point VS crashes and asks for me to restart VS. Very unhelpful. It seems like one end of the relationship has to be the primary key of that table. I can't see how you can set up optionality and one to many relationships in the way the data source viewer is set up. Has anyone come across this before please and may be able to help?

• Doesn't look like many people use report builder & report models as I never seem to get a response on this front on this site, other sites, or through searching search engines. Is this because of these limitations in functionality do you think? Does anyone know if the functionality is improved in 2008?

• Anyone use report builder for their users?

• Griffster, did you ever identify a solution to this problem? I'm getting the same error.:w00t:

• No unfortunately. I don't think many people use this which is a shame as it's a nice function. I abandoned it in the end. Result is I have to write ALL reports now rather than have some of the slack taken off me by giving easier reports to support staff to do. If you do get anywhere with this then I'd be most grateful if you could copy me in on the solution!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply