Issue with Data (white square AKA U+25A1 shown for Chr(10) and Chr(13)

• Hello,

I have an issue regarding the white squares showing up in my SQL table instead of it showing the CRLF. I was attempting to query this data out of this table but I cannot figure out how to deal wit the white squares. The table is a varchar table and changing it to text does not help. In Access the table reflects the CRLF by separating the data into 3 lines and I can query it from there but it is VERY slow. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

George

• Are you using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and displaying the query return in grid mode? If so switch the output to Text mode and the carriage return / line feed (white squares) will disappear and instead actually format your output. If you are not using SSMS please describe how / where the output is being displayed.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• George the display of the chars depends on the presentation application; what program is viewing the data as squares

SSMS in gridview mode replaces vbCrLf(CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) )with a single space.

SSMS in textview mode shows your data as three lines.

other applications may decide to show them as squares.

NOTEPAD would show CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) normally but, but if you copy and paste THIS from SSMS text mode, you'd see squares:

select 'line 1' + CHAR(10) + CHAR(13) + 'line 2' + CHAR(10) + CHAR(13) + 'line 3'

select 'line 1' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + 'line 2' + + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + 'line 3'

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Okay so they are really there and my code must be failing =). I actually went ahead and did it a different way and am getting the results needed albeit a bit slower. Thank you for replies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply