ISNUMERIC

• happycat59 (3/5/2013)

Mmm, why have "ISNUMERIC" as the heading for this question ? This question is not really about the ISNUMERIC function. How about getting the heading to match what the question is really about instead of deliberately trying to mislead ?

Because that would point you directly to the answer. I would have called it "You figure it out."

I only got it right because I assumed it was yet another example of how much ISNUMERIC() sucks.

ron

-----
    a haiku...

NULL is not zero
    NULL is not an empty string
    NULL is the unknown

• Thanks for the question

Always define the length of your VARCHARS people 😀

• L' Eomot Inversé (3/6/2013)

Nice question, but I don't much like the heading. Fortunately I've learnt not to pay much attention to QotD headings.

Yeah, I understand everyone's complaint about the header, but if it was accurate then that would sort of give away the answer.

Because that would point you directly to the answer. I would have called it "You figure it out."

I like that. All questions going forward should have the title "You figure it out"

• Ooooooh, you almost got me, but I caught it at the last second before pulling the trigger. :-D. Thanks for the question.

Everything is awesome!

• lots of people have issues with Header of the QOD 😎

• Lokesh Vij (3/5/2013)

+1 🙂

Well this question is about ISNUMERIC and VARCHAR both. I realized the VARCHAR gotcha and marked the correct answer.

Same... but I can also see the point... the subject isn't really about what ISNUMERIC will test or won't... it's about what happens when you don't give varchar a length..

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Very good question!

Though I make a habit of specifying the n in a varchar declaration, I had no idea that in a DECLARE, without a specified n, it would default to 1. I also picked up the tidbit from another poster that a cast/convert without n would default to 30. For me, since I work in SQL Server all day, this was very valuable.

Thanks again!

• Please try this:

SET @vchrIsNumeric='$NAME',

Is Numeric or Is not Numeric?

--------------------------------------
    ;-)“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” ― Confucius

• chgn01 (3/6/2013)

Please try this:

SET @vchrIsNumeric='$NAME',

Is Numeric or Is not Numeric?

That will return Is Numeric as well. Same thing if you do '£NAME'. I think any currency character will evaluate as numeric. I tried it with the symbols for the US cent, Yen, US dollar and British pound.

• Thank you Fire Drill!

--------------------------------------
    ;-)“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” ― Confucius

• Agree with the title of the QOD being missleading, and to make sure people do NOT conclude, incorrectly, how ISNUMERIC works may I suggest that every one read this excellent SQL SPACKLE article by Jeff Moden

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/IsNumeric/71512/

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Slightly misleading, yes... But thanks anyway, Ramana!

• Hugo Kornelis (3/6/2013) I also think that this adds a nice touch of realism. If a junior on my team made this mistake and came to me after not being able to figure it out, they would probably also tell me that they have a problem with ISNUMERIC.

I actually like the title, for the same reason given by Hugo. A person could beat his/her head against the wall, not noticing that the declare statement did not specify a length. This is what debugging is all about.

• bitbucket-25253 (3/6/2013)

Agree with the title of the QOD being missleading, and to make sure people do NOT conclude, incorrectly, how ISNUMERIC works may I suggest that every one read this excellent SQL SPACKLE article by Jeff Moden

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/IsNumeric/71512/

Thanks for the link. I was wondering what other characters might fall into the IsNumeric trap. I prefer the regex approach myself.

Ken

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply