ISDATE (date in UK format DB in US format)

• I am using the function ISDATE against column of type varchar which is a date in UK date format (dd/mm/yyyy) but the Database ‘s collation has the date format (mm/dd/yyyy). This means I have a lot of dates showing as non-dates.

How can I get ISDATE to work with the UK format on a US database without changing the collation?

Many Thanks

• first of all, can you detail why you are storing dates as varchar and not datetime and what is the business requirements for doing this

secondly you could set dateformat = dmy and then convert the varchar to a db date, then do isdate

eg

set dateformat dmy

select isdate(convert(date,'01/01/2011'))

• Edward-445599 (12/7/2011)

I am using the function ISDATE against column of type varchar which is a date in UK date format (dd/mm/yyyy) but the Database ‘s collation has the date format (mm/dd/yyyy). This means I have a lot of dates showing as non-dates.

How can I get ISDATE to work with the UK format on a US database without changing the collation?

Many Thanks

You can use DATEFORMAT to set the date format of your choice for the current execution.

May be this can help:

SET DATEFORMAT 'dmy'

GO

DECLARE @UKFormatDateTime DATETIME

SET @UKFormatDateTime = '21/12/2011'

PRINT @UKFormatDateTime

Sujeet Singh

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• thanks all

• happy to help.

as i said in my original post, what is the business requirement for having dates as varchars? if there isnt any, I would recommend putting a task together to store them as datetime and use an ISO standard, that way you dont have regional issues.

• I am in the process of doing that but I want to make sure all the values are valid dates first

• excellent, thats good to hear

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply