Is there a way to know which column in a convert task caused an error?

• I have SSIS packages being developed in BIDS/SSIS 2008 where I would prefer to be able to add all fields needing to be converted into one Data Convert task. The problem is that there isn't a way to catch the column name that cause the records to be redirected in the error output. I'm having to create a Data Convert Task for each column then send the error flow to its own temp table named for that column error. As you can imagine this gets pretty cumbersome and really causes me to take up much more time than I would if I could place all into one Data Convert. Does anyone have a concise way of getting around this issue?

• The error output should include the ErrorColumn value. This is not the name of the column, but the ID number for the column within the dataflow. You could use a Derived Column transform to change the numbers to column names (ErrorColumn == 101 ? "Column A" : ErrorColumn == 102 ? "Column B" : ... : "Column Z"), but it is likely that the column IDs will change if you edit the data flow.

You could instead use a script transform that has access to the column metadata to lookup the name for the ErrorColumn number.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply