Is There a Best?

• Gary Istvan Varga (12/2/2009)

I waited and waited but was disappointed that in such and internationally flavoured forum that no-one responded by saying that if you talk about football outside of the US people tend to assume that you mean Association Football or soccer if you prefer.

In that case, "Go on you Seagulls!!!" (Brighton & Hove Albion FC)

So you want to talk about Maradona and the next world cup, yea I played soccer in high school.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/diego-maradona

:Whistling:

😉

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• al_kessler (12/2/2009)

Goal: Attach these two boards.

Tool: Hammer, Resource: Screw

Hmm?

Yeah, it will work but not the best. However, if you are out of other options (no nails and all the stores are closed, etc.) and the job must be done you do what you gotta do.

The problem is that all too often we have one tool (hammer in this example) in our box (or several of the same type, i.e. little hammer, medium hammer, really big hammer) and, in this case, see every problem as a nail.

Remember that best is a transient concept with far too many variable elements for reliable and consistent analysis. I like the previous thought of something being the “least worst”. This recognizes the goal and the possibility of improvement while avoiding the claim of finality.

Anyone want to add other words to this? I’m thinking “Ultimate” should be in the same category. We should stick with reality and let the marketers indulge in hyperbole.

I am having nightmares WCF in http implements Ihttphandler so looking at the building of the Brooklyn bridge and San Fransisco bridge Microsoft engineers left Asp.net limited so the crude service bus will be relevant.

The question is why?

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I am interested in knowing what others think of using virtualization as an HA solution. In particular what your opinions are of VMware and MS Hyper-V as alternatives to traditional HA solutions like Windows clustering, DB Mirroring etc. From researching VMware what it claims to be able to do seems amazing, but is this people's real-world experience?

• sparky-407434 (12/3/2009)

I am interested in knowing what others think of using virtualization as an HA solution. In particular what your opinions are of VMware and MS Hyper-V as alternatives to traditional HA solutions like Windows clustering, DB Mirroring etc. From researching VMware what it claims to be able to do seems amazing, but is this people's real-world experience?

I'd post this in the Admin forum as it's own thread if you want it to get much attention.

I've been working in a virtualized environment for a while now where multiple physical servers are hooked together as a single VM, partially for HA purposes. It works.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• cheers - I'll do that. I thought it might have been relevant to the "is there a best HA solution" but I suppose this thread is more about "best" than a particular topic.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply