Is that true that we can not install database engine other than C drive in Clustered environment?

• Hi,

I'm Installing SQL Server 2005 EE on Active/Passive cluster. While Installing I tried to install Database engine on D drive But the Setup not allowing me install on Drive and telling me to select C drive by giving below message:

The drive specified can not be used for program location. Program files must be installed on a valid local disk available on all cluster nodes. The valued values are C:

So is that compulsory to install database engine on C drive in Cluster? If yes, what is the reason behind that? On which drive you guys install database engine in a cluster?please clarify me ...

• actually, it has to be installed on the %systemdrive%, which in most cases is the C: drive, but depending on how you built your machine originally, the %systemdrive% could be a different drive.

but you cannot install it on any other drive than that, that is true.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thank you...

Currently, I'm Installing and configuring multiple clustered sql server 2005. Is there any Good book that explains complete clustering of sql server 2005 and how to maintain a production cluster?

• I'm desperately looking for the Book that explains complete clustering.

• On the "Components To Install" screen select the Advanced botton.

Highlight "database Services" and select BROWSE.

Change the drive letter only. Do not change the entire path.

save (this is where the program components go)

Highlight "Data Files" and select browse.

You can change this to any drive and path you desire. This is where the Folder structure with backups, data, logs, etc... all go.

Tim White

• Pro Sql server 2005 availability by Allan Hirt is good.

The 2008 version is supposed to be coming out in July.

David

• On the "Components To Install" screen select the Advanced botton.

Highlight "database Services" and select BROWSE.

Change the drive letter only. Do not change the entire path.

save (this is where the program components go)

Highlight "Data Files" and select browse.

You can change this to any drive and path you desire. This is where the Folder structure with backups, data, logs, etc... all go.

I had tried this but it won't allow in clustered sql server 2005 installation. We must need to install on C drive and we will get a screen where to put the data files in the set up wizard. Later we need to separate the log files to other drive, because the setup won't allow to select a drive to put the log files!!

Hello Experts please confirm that we need to install the database engine on C drive, if it is true. Because I already installed sql server in cluster on C drive and its ready to go for Production. It will be help full for me if you confirm this before we go live..

thanks

• Out of curiosity, why do you want it on the d drive rather then the C drive. Clustering is tricky enough on its own. When trying to figure out why something in a clustered sql instance is not working as expected, anything out of the ordinary will just make your life difficult.

David

• Out of curiosity, why do you want it on the d drive rather then the C drive

Because for any Stand alone sql server installation I always choose D drive to install database engine, Integration services and reporting services. I do not install any thing on C drive(OS), which is a Best practice, told by experts.

• Hi Rambilla,

AFAIK, you don't have any choice to change the default drive (C:\) where all the binaries are installed on a cluster. You can put the data and log files wherever you like usually on a shared disk.

In our enviroment, we have the SQL Server Binaries installed on C:\ drive and everything is working well.

Here are the links for some really good videos and articles:

1.http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/technetsqlserver2005.aspx?tab=webcasts&id=42454

2.http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/clustering/main.aspx

3.http://www.mssqltips.com/category.asp?catid=11

Thank You,

Yours

SQLBuddy.

• Our standard is for all application program files (binaries) installed on the E: drive. (Including SQL Server). I have clustered servers and have done this using the method I described above with no problem.

so, Not sure what's different in your case. I vaguely remember there is another panel that comes up later in the install just for cluster installs and you need to replace the drive letter there as well, but I don't remember off the top where that install panel was.

Tim White

• The SQL binaries can be installed on any local drive, not only the system drive... We have several clustered SQL servers and on all we have the binaries on the D: drive.

• We have only one local drive i.e C drive and the rest are shared drives. So if we have any other local drive other than C drive, we can select that drive to install sql server. Correct me if I understood wrong..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply