Is NTILE OVER (PARTITION BY .. running total..) possible?

• Source table is something like:

Order Amount

--------------

order1 $2,000

order2 $1,000

order3 $3,000

order4 $500

order4 $600

order6 $4,000

Now because a manager has a signing authority of max $3,000 for a partition of orders, the query has to partition the orders in tiles having the totals as close as $3,000, but never more than this amount, something like this:

Order Amount Set

---------------------

order1 $2,000 1

order2 $1,000 1

order3 $3,000 2

order4 $500 3

order4 $600 3

order6 $3,000 4

Max value of amount possible is $3,000, so each tile will have at least 1 row. The whole set is ordered by date (or order #, that would be the same)

Now, of course this is completely doable with a cursor, but is there any way of doing this with just a query? Performance is not an issue (I feel the cursor solution would be faster here), the limitation is that I would just prefer a SELECT here ...

• I couldnt get the logic behind the grouping.. can you please be more elaborate on your explanation?? This certainly is do-able with set-based code..

• I don't believe this should be done with set-based coding. You are essentially slicing up an ordered set of row into 3k chunks ( or "tiles" as you called them ) and I don't think you will find a performant solution in a single query. Either a cursor solution or perhaps a quirky update appears to be in order, but I would be interested in seeing any solutions.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I just have to partition (not group) the orders in partitions that have the total amount of a partition of maximum $3,000.

• Performance is not an issue in this case, I am just curious if just a set based solution is possible for this

• Got it; Now, as Dixie says, either Quirky Update or Cursor can save you. I am still pondering if it will be possible by a Recursive-CTE..Got to think..

• ColdCoffee (5/1/2011)

Got it; Now, as Dixie says, either Quirky Update or Cursor can save you. I am still pondering if it will be possible by a Recursive-CTE..Got to think..

A recursive CTE would work just fine for this. Quirky Update would be faster.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• virgilrucsandescu (5/1/2011)

Performance is not an issue in this case, I am just curious if just a set based solution is possible for this

This is probably the simplest set-based solution. It's certainly not going to be the fastest but should complete a million rows in less than a minute.

-- make up some sample data

DROP TABLE #Temp

CREATE TABLE #Temp (OrderNo VARCHAR(10), Amount MONEY)

INSERT INTO #Temp (OrderNo, Amount)

SELECT 'order1', 2000 UNION ALL

SELECT 'order2', 1000 UNION ALL

SELECT 'order3', 3000 UNION ALL

SELECT 'order4', 500 UNION ALL

SELECT 'order4', 600 UNION ALL

SELECT 'order6', 4000

-- reformat the sample data to make it more suitable for rCTE running total

DROP TABLE #OrderedSet

SELECT rn = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY OrderNo, Amount),

OrderNo, Amount

INTO #OrderedSet

FROM #Temp

ORDER BY OrderNo, Amount

CREATE UNIQUE CLUSTERED INDEX IXC_rn ON #OrderedSet (rn)

-- solution

;WITH Calculator AS (

SELECT rn,

OrderNo,

Amount,

RTAmount = Amount,

[Set] = 1

FROM #OrderedSet

WHERE rn = 1

UNION ALL

SELECT ThisRow.rn,

ThisRow.OrderNo,

ThisRow.Amount,

RTAmount = CASE WHEN ThisRow.Amount + LstRow.RTAmount <= 3000 THEN ThisRow.Amount + LstRow.RTAmount ELSE ThisRow.Amount END,

[Set] = CASE WHEN ThisRow.Amount + LstRow.RTAmount <= 3000 THEN LstRow.[Set] ELSE LstRow.[Set] + 1 END

FROM #OrderedSet ThisRow

INNER JOIN Calculator LstRow ON LstRow.rn+1 = ThisRow.rn

)

SELECT * FROM Calculator

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• Thank you, tt works just perfect!

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "Quirky Update" ?

• Check these threads on MSDN

MSDN thread with many helpful links

Lightning Fast Hybrid RUNNING TOTAL - Can you slow it down?[/url]

Wondering if the term 'Quirky Update' is Jeff Moden's invention.

• virgilrucsandescu (5/2/2011)

Thank you, tt works just perfect!

Hi Virgil

This link[/url] will show you an alternative set-based method of calculating running totals and introduce you to the controversial "quirky update". It's much faster than the method I posted above but rather less intuitive to code, and - according to some - undocumented, however it works just fine in SQL Server 7 / 2000 / 2005 / 2008.

• ChrisM@home (5/2/2011)

virgilrucsandescu (5/2/2011)

Thank you, tt works just perfect!

Hi Virgil

This link[/url] will show you an alternative set-based method of calculating running totals and introduce you to the controversial "quirky update". It's much faster than the method I posted above but rather less intuitive to code, and - according to some - undocumented, however it works just fine in SQL Server 7 / 2000 / 2005 / 2008.

NOTE: it "only works just fine" if you follow numerous requirements EXACTLY TO THE LETTER!! And even then Microsoft has explicitly stated that it is an unsupported operation that is NOT guaranteed to work either now or in the future!!

What WILL make a HUGE difference for running totals is when Microsoft FINALLY implements full Windowing Function support in the engine. I sure hope that gets released in Denali!! That is by far the biggest shortcoming SQL Server has IMNSHO.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• IMNSHO

😀

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• ChrisM@home (5/2/2011)

This is probably the simplest set-based solution.

Oh... be careful, Chris. Apologies for quibbling but a Recursive CTE isn't set-based. It's a form of hidden RBAR which can sometimes be worse than a WHILE loop. It IS a simple solution but it's not a Set-Based one.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• TheSQLGuru (5/3/2011)

That is by far the biggest shortcoming SQL Server has IMNSHO.

Unless you count the fact that there is no split function, no function to generate sequential numbers or dates on the fly, no method to do a Bulk Export directly from T-SQL, the fact that PIVOT sucks compared to the PIVOT available even in Access, that no function that approaches the utility of the deprecated sp_MakeWebTask exists, or the fact that they removed the functionality of the old F4 key, or the fact that you can't work in SSMS while the query designer is open and you can print from it, or the fact that neither BCP or BULK INSERT will successfully skip rows unless they have exactly the same number and type of delimiters, or that T-SQL has no file handling capabilities, or the fact that RAND produces the same value across multiple rows, or that... etc, etc, etc. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply