Is it possible to update a value in an xml file via SSIS?

• I want to update a value in an xml file (a variable value in a xml configuration file actually for a SSIS package), and was wondering whether it was possible within SSIS. I've noticed there's a XML Task in SSIS, and I think the XPATH operation type may be the way forward but I can't seem to find anything that would show me how to do it!

• Griffster (10/24/2011)

I want to update a value in an xml file (a variable value in a xml configuration file actually for a SSIS package), and was wondering whether it was possible within SSIS. I've noticed there's a XML Task in SSIS, and I think the XPATH operation type may be the way forward but I can't seem to find anything that would show me how to do it!

XML Task will not help. I don't see operation that will allow you to do this. You have to implement a script.

---
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

• Ok, thanks.

• CozyRoc (10/24/2011)

Griffster (10/24/2011)

I want to update a value in an xml file (a variable value in a xml configuration file actually for a SSIS package), and was wondering whether it was possible within SSIS. I've noticed there's a XML Task in SSIS, and I think the XPATH operation type may be the way forward but I can't seem to find anything that would show me how to do it!

XML Task will not help. I don't see operation that will allow you to do this. You have to implement a script.

Well - there IS a way to do it. It's a form of transformation, so you certainly can do it.

That said it's a lot of work to set up for a single value in a single file. Scripting actually might be easier, although that too seems to be an awful lot of work for a single value in a single file.

Can you provide some background on what you are doing? depending on what's happening upstream - there might be better ways to make it happen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I have an ssis package that runs from an xml configuration file. This contains an end date. I need to be able to run the package up to a certain date. However, in this particular SQL agent job run of this package I want the end date to be set to the date the agent job runs. I was therefore planning to have another SSIS package that would update the end date variable value in the xml configuration file before running the main package.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply