Invalid Column problem

• This is probably a trivial question, but I am stuck, so I would appreciate it if someone could help me:

Consder this SELECT statement -

SELECT a.abc , a.def, DATEDIFF(day,CAST(b.BeginDate),GetDate()) AS mydays FROM Assignment a LEFT OUTER JOIN BusinessObject b ON Assignment.boo_id = BusinessObject.boo_id WHERE mydays > 20

I am getting an Invalid Column mydays.

As you can see, mydays is a calculated column.

???

Thanks,  J

• Your use of CAST is incomplete. Do you mean

cast(b.begindate as datetime) perhaps?

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• yes, sorry.

cast(b.begindate as daytime)

• I am not sure sql * server allows you to use alias to calculated/normal columns in the where clause.

One alternative is to repeat the calculated column expression in the where clause also

SELECT a.abc , a.def, DATEDIFF(day,CAST(b.BeginDate),GetDate()) AS mydays FROM Assignment a LEFT OUTER JOIN BusinessObject b ON Assignment.boo_id = BusinessObject.boo_id

WHERE DATEDIFF(day,CAST(b.BeginDate,GetDate())  > 20

• Correct, it doesn't - would be damn useful though.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply