Interview questions plz any one reply me

• 1. While instalation i am getting one error "restart ur system and install again" ?

2. I hav two systems installed with 2000 and 2005, and i am having two service packs sp2 and sp4 which service pack should install for which one ?

3. can we restore the master database, if we can in how many methods we can restore ?

4. what is the main difference between replication and log shipping, in which time we should use which one ?

5. How can we know the last full backup from number of full backup's in the backup folder ?

6. what is the hidden database ?

7. what we have to do if msdb fails ?

8. what is the main difference between log shipping and trasactional ?

9. what we have to do if principal server and witness server fails in mirroring ?

10. how can we move production server from one location to another ?

11. what is difference between updation and migration ?

• I guess the correct answer to all of these is, "hire someone who knows these things, either a contractor or permanent employee".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Are you the interviewer.. or the interviewee?

If you are the one being interviewed, and these questions are for you to answer, then you alone must answer them, as best you can.

• Let me help you with a couple of them...

1. While instalation i am getting one error "restart ur system and install again" ?

Server liked the process that much it wants you to do it all over again.

2. I hav two systems installed with 2000 and 2005, and i am having two service packs sp2 and sp4 which service pack should install for which one ?

Ladies first, figure out which sp is the female one, that one goes first.

The shy one.

Run, run as fast as you can.

Either by truck or plane depending of how far the two places are

😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • These are basics supposed to be known by a DBA

Thanks!!

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• You can find most answers on this website, and try to Google , there is no fixed answers for some of the questions

• PaulB (2/9/2009)

Let me help you with a couple of them...

1. While instalation i am getting one error "restart ur system and install again" ?

Well what does it do if I don't do it again??

Courtesy is Contagious..let it start with men!!!:hehe:

The shy one.

Don't run into someone..:P

Who pays for the move? I would move by car since gas is cheap...:cool:

😀

Thanks!!

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• Most of these can be found with some research, but as the first responder mentioned, you should know these if you are qualified to get the job. Or if you want to interview someone. Honestly you'd be much better off getting a SQL Server expert to do some interviews for you than make a decision hiring someone if you don't know this stuff. The $2-400 would be well spent.

If you need the job, we don't want to help you deceive someone or get a job you aren't qualified for.

• PaulB (2/9/2009)

The shy one.

😀

That was brilliant made me laugh so hard got some funny looks 😉

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• PaulB (2/9/2009)

The shy one.

😀

Excellent made me laugh for some time

Amarnath,

I hope these questions are recollected by some one who got this in an Interview

Some of the questions like No 1 doesn't make any sense.

Question 6 is ok

If you want to know about hidden database here is the link

http://blogs.technet.com/beatrice/archive/2008/11/19/the-hidden-database-in-sql-server-2005-and-2008.aspx

Answers for the questions are available on internet and it is quite simple to understand if you have some basic knowledge.

Thanks

Krishnaraj

• krishnaraj9 (2/9/2009)

PaulB (2/9/2009)

The shy one.

😀

Excellent made me laugh for some time

Amarnath,

I hope these questions are recollected by some one who got this in an Interview

Some of the questions like No 1 doesn't make any sense.

Question 6 is ok

If you want to know about hidden database here is the link

http://blogs.technet.com/beatrice/archive/2008/11/19/the-hidden-database-in-sql-server-2005-and-2008.aspx

Answers for the questions are available on internet and it is quite simple to understand if you have some basic knowledge.

Thanks

Krishnaraj

Stop it your wrecking the fun....! 😛

My personal fav is 7. I would suggest just creating a new one and naming it 'msdb-take 2!', script below.

CREATE DATABASE [msdb-take 2!] ON PRIMARY

( NAME = N'msdb-take 2!', FILENAME = N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\msdb-take 2!.mdf' , SIZE = 3072KB , FILEGROWTH = 1024KB )

LOG ON

( NAME = N'msdb-take 2!_log', FILENAME = N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\msdb-take 2!_log.ldf' , SIZE = 1024KB , FILEGROWTH = 10%)

GO

EXEC dbo.sp_dbcmptlevel @dbname=N'msdb-take 2!', @new_cmptlevel=90

GO

IF (1 = FULLTEXTSERVICEPROPERTY('IsFullTextInstalled'))

begin

EXEC [msdb-take 2!].[dbo].[sp_fulltext_database] @action = 'disable'

end

GO

USE [msdb-take 2!]

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT name FROM sys.filegroups WHERE is_default=1 AND name = N'PRIMARY') ALTER DATABASE [msdb-take 2!] MODIFY FILEGROUP [PRIMARY] DEFAULT

GO

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply