interview questions

• paul.starr (4/17/2009)

any info on really good interview questions for a sql server dba?

In addition to everything else that has been mentioned in this thread, I would recommend that you study and be prepared to answer questions about best practices. There are best practices for virtually every aspect of DBA work so there is a lot to study.

In addition to being prepared to answer questions about/discuss best practices, I would also recommend that you interview your prospective employer. Unless you have no other options, you probably will not want to work for a prospective employer who has no interest in, no knowledge of, nor any commmitment to the implementation of best practices. To work in a "non-best practices" environment means constant firefighting, bandaiding, and generally reacting to problems rather than being a proactive DBA.

It's not much fun.

LC

• What is called Object in SQL Server? Tell me some objects name?

• best_yunus (5/5/2012)

What is called Object in SQL Server? Tell me some objects name?

Google. 😉 Seriously... Google for "sql server objects" and you'll find out. To summarize, just about anything you can name in SQL Server is an "object".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• thanks

• Applying for a DBA position can involve a lot of different knowledge areas. You need to understand what the job is that you are applying for and determine if your skills match the position. There are jobs that are more involved in the database administration portion of the work and there are other jobs that need more database developer, SSIS, or SSRS background. While these could all be advertised under the label of Database Administrator you would need to look at the details of the position being posted to better understand what the company is looking for. There are different sites for different points about certain topics. You can start by looking up best practices for setting up databases, indexing, and so forth. As you find articles that peak your interest in certain area's you can branch off into those areas and learn more. One of the things a good DBA has is the ability to observe events to capture what is going on, that helps them solve the issue or to research the issue to find the solution. The one thing about technology is that if you want to keep your job and be an asset to your company you never stop learning so forget about just looking up the data just for the interview, it will be a continual process if you want to be successful. I have attached a document that pretty much sums up characteristics any good employee should have but is written for DBAs. I do not endorse the products listed, I just think it's a good summary.

• awesome reply alivn

from my point of view ithnk so if not please correct ----any one can suggest me------

coz inthis sort of scenarios only u will have two options

1. as mentioned by alivn

2. think for the solutions sort-out in parallel consult ur senior dba and windows team also

[1.check the error logs in sqlserver and event-viewer

2. check the disk-space issues

3.what ever the high availability it is running on first check ur sqlserver services running or not --- if not restart the services which takes min 15mins downtime.

2. restore the full backup or point in time restore (tlogbackup .trns )]

sorry if any wrong ideas shared am not highly experienced iam starter in this domain

Thanks
    Naga.Rohitkumar

• naga.rohitkumar (11/21/2012)

awesome reply alivn

from my point of view ithnk so if not please correct ----any one can suggest me------

coz inthis sort of scenarios only u will have two options

1. as mentioned by alivn

2. think for the solutions sort-out in parallel consult ur senior dba and windows team also

[1.check the error logs in sqlserver and event-viewer

2. check the disk-space issues

3.what ever the high availability it is running on first check ur sqlserver services running or not --- if not restart the services which takes min 15mins downtime.

2. restore the full backup or point in time restore (tlogbackup .trns )]

sorry if any wrong ideas shared am not highly experienced iam starter in this domain

I'm not sure who you are replying to and so I'm not sure which question you're trying to answer but bouncing the server should be an almost last resort and doing a restore is the absolute last resort. Whenever you do a restore, some data is lost and you might not be able to get it back especially if you don't have the room to keep the original and the restored database active at the same time.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Alvin Ramard (4/17/2009)

Nicholas Cain (4/17/2009)

Here's my personal favourite to spring:

It's 3pm on a Friday, your production OLTP environment is down, every hour down costs the company one million dollars. People are phoning constantly, folks are rushing the hallways, running into your work area and freaking out wanting to know what you are doing, and why it's not fixed yet.

What do you do?

That separates the men from the boys (or women from the girls)

Lock the door, take the phone off the hook, and GET TO WORK!!!!

Lock the door, take the phone off the hook...

from another side of the room!

Go to the nearest pub and enjoy pint or two thinking that they cost your employer a million dollar.

Why that?

At least you will be able to tell you grandchildren that you have drunk a million-dollar beer :hehe:

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• Eugene Elutin (11/21/2012)

Alvin Ramard (4/17/2009)

Nicholas Cain (4/17/2009)

Here's my personal favourite to spring:

It's 3pm on a Friday, your production OLTP environment is down, every hour down costs the company one million dollars. People are phoning constantly, folks are rushing the hallways, running into your work area and freaking out wanting to know what you are doing, and why it's not fixed yet.

What do you do?

That separates the men from the boys (or women from the girls)

Lock the door, take the phone off the hook, and GET TO WORK!!!!

Lock the door, take the phone off the hook...

from another side of the room!

Go to the nearest pub and enjoy pint or two thinking that they cost your employer a million dollar.

Why that?

At least you will be able to tell you grandchildren that you have drunk a million-dollar beer :hehe:

My initial respose to such a question would be "Obviously, the managers that are panicing in such a fashion should have been made to answer the same question correctly before THEY were hired." 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• i replied to alivn

Thanks
    Naga.Rohitkumar

• Great point, Alvin. You need to appoint a "public information officer" for all inquiries.

If there's more than one DBA on the team, its proper to appoint somebody as the "spokesperson", who is not driving the troubleshooting. This prevents the person handling the incident from getting distracted with a myriad of questions. It also ensures timely, structured updates of status.

• DevDB (4/19/2013)

very good information :-

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2012/08/sql-server-dba-interview-qa-part-answers/%5B/quote%5D

I love some of those questions. One of my favorites is...

9. I’m a manager, and you’re my Senior DBA. Explain to me why we shouldn’t switch to MySQL or Oracle.

You can switch to one of those, no problem. Give me about a month's notice when you plan to start so I can sharpen up my resume. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (4/19/2013)

DevDB (4/19/2013)

very good information :-

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2012/08/sql-server-dba-interview-qa-part-answers/%5B/quote%5D

I love some of those questions. One of my favorites is...

9. I’m a manager, and you’re my Senior DBA. Explain to me why we shouldn’t switch to MySQL or Oracle.

You can switch to one of those, no problem. Give me about a month's notice when you plan to start so I can sharpen up my resume. 😀

I love that answer

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Please read my website for Interview Questions and Answers,

1. SQL Interview Questions and Answers

2. Basics Interview Questions and Answers[/url]

3. MSSQL Interview Questions and Answers[/url]

4. Oracle Interview Questions and Answers[/url]

5. MySQL Interview Questions and Answers[/url]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CodeGuys,

Check my website for frequently asked interview questions and answers.

http://www.techieclues.com

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply