Intertia

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Intertia

• [Quote]As DBAs we often try to control our world and ensure a high degree of stability, often at the cost of slowing or severely impeding changes in our systems. While I think it's good to aim for a stable, reliable environment, I don't think this should necessarily impede change.[/Quote]

Agree. And since businesses need to operate in a changing world it means the DBA must support the changing business requirements as an INTEGRAL part of his/her job. This means that the environment MUST include a reliable change-management process that deals consistently with any change in the environment, such as hardware/OS/software updates, but also business security/dataflow changes.

"The only constant is change".

• Just a bit off topic. Thanks for the statement "We all have thigns at work that we do a certain way." This is not a criticism, but really thank you.

As an IT professional for decades I have learned to spell within the compiler and have grown very creative. Also being born dyslexic I also see things differently. And I do thigns like this regularly.

Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone.:-)

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Miles Neale (9/19/2011)

Just a bit off topic. Thanks for the statement "We all have thigns at work that we do a certain way." This is not a criticism, but really thank you.

As an IT professional for decades I have learned to spell within the compiler and have grown very creative. Also being born dyslexic I also see things differently. And I do thigns like this regularly.

Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone.:-)

M.

I try to avoid editing Steve's editorials, but that one and the typo and the title did kind of leap out at me.

The subject is a good one. If you take a good look at the theory of evolution, and a good look at life itself, it's pretty easy to see that any change carries a threat payload, but also that the whole human solution to survival is to be flexible to deal with variable threats. We're born to analyze changes and deal with them, and that's what we need to do. It's work, but it's necessary work, and we're good at it as a species.

Of course, I should reveal that I've moved to new cities/states on an average of once every 2-3 years, for my whole life. So maybe I'm prejudiced in favor of flexibility.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Physics, it describes the universe and everything within it.

• Inertia... makes me think of rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• IceDread (9/20/2011)

Physics, it describes the universe and everything within it.

So do religion, art, philosophy, and (apparently) the list of possible side-effects at the end of those commercials.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Inertia is the name for the tendency of an object in motion to remain in motion, or an object at rest to remain at rest, unless acted upon by a force

In the business world that force must come from either of 2 places, management or the individual.

As an individual employed in the IT segment of business, the force that acts upon myself is simple. If I wish to stay employed, and knowing that to do so I must learn new techniques, i.e., switching from ACCESS as the database of choice to SQL SERVER. I am self motivated and expend considerable efforts to convince management to agree to the switch by presenting the dollar amount required and the dollar savings to be gained in increased productivity by those who use the data.

It is management’s task to motivate those who will use the new product. And their using techniques, such as an early announcement of the changes the future will bring, the benefits it will mean to the business and to the employees. And not to do this as a onetime announcement , but as a series of news letters, memos to individuals, speaking at employee meetings, etc., etc.

AS GSQUARED has said:

We're born to analyze changes and deal with them, and that's what we need to do. It's work, but it's necessary work, and we're good at it as a species.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• GSquared (9/21/2011)

IceDread (9/20/2011)

So do religion, art, philosophy, and (apparently) the list of possible side-effects at the end of those commercials.

I do believe you are ironic, but in case you are not.

No, they do not.

• IceDread (9/22/2011)

GSquared (9/21/2011)

IceDread (9/20/2011)

I do believe you are ironic, but in case you are not.

No, they do not.

Of course they do. You may not consider them accurate descriptions (though how "accuracy" applies to art, I'm not sure), but they sure do describe it. And ask any scientist worth his weight in dihydrogen-monoxide, and he'll tell you that science, including physics, is guaranteed wrong too. One of the key rules of science is the firm belief that the experts are wrong, and that everything you know is also wrong.

If you disagree with that statement, you need to define the word "describe" as you are using it. Because if you think they don't, you're using that word in a way that's not in the dictionary.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply