Internal Version Numbers of SQL 2008 vs 2009R2

• Sorry if this has been covered before but I could not see anything obvious in Google.

I understand that there was a problem restoring a database from 2008 SP2 into a 2008R2 SP1 server as the version was higher than 2008R2 was expecting. Is this the same with 2008SP3 vs 2008R2 SP1?

I have just overheard a conversation where 2008 SP3 is to be rolled out but we are also looking to migrate our databases from 2008 SP1 to a 2008R2 SP1 based system and standardize on 2008R2 SP1.

Many thanks in advance.

• It's only a problem if you enable the 15000 partition feature that was added to 2008 SP2. Otherwise the upgrade is fine.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • johnitech.itech (2/6/2012)

ok show link below

http://fawzi.wordpress.com/2010/12/04/upgrade-vmm-2008-r2-to-sp1/%5B/quote%5D

Did you even read that article before you posted it?

This post provides step-by-step instructions for upgrading to System Center Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) from VMM 2008 R2 while retaining your previous VMM data.

What in tarnation does a blog post on upgrading System Center Virtual Machine Manager have to do with a question of versions in SQL Server? If you want a high post count, please at least make your posts marginally relevant.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (2/6/2012)

Did you even read that article before you posted it?

lol 🙂

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply