interactive package in SSIS?

• Hi!

Is there a simple way to design an interactive package in SSIS? I am not too enthusiastic about creating any forms myself, therefore I wonder whether anybody can recommend an out-of-the-box solution.

• SSIS is not meant to be interactive. There is no forms builder. It is meant to be run on a server with no interaction from a user. You can in most cases pass parameters to change running behavior but if you need something beyond that, I think you need to explain what you are trying to accomplish and we can give you some guidance.

CEWII

• What I'm looking for is a way to pause the flow at some point, wait for a selection and continue on different branches based on the input. I was hoping to find a simple way to do it, without writing C# code 🙂

Thanks!

• What kind of selections?

Really SSIS is not designed for user interaction. You would need to know the choice BEFORE the package was started, if that would be ok then yes you could likely do it.

CEWII

• Are you hoping to give this functionality to users? Or is it just a package which a developer will run interactively from within Visual Studio?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• The problem is that I don't have the decision beforehand, it's based on some intermediate results. Looking at those results, I can decide if I want to continue one way or another. Of course, I can create 3 packages (Phase1, BranchA, BranchB), run Phase1, look at the results and then manually run BranchA or BranchB. I thought there should be a simple way to automate this process, but I couldn't find it.

• Is the process known? What I mean is that if Phase 1 returns X result you will ALWAYS go Branch A, if it returns Y then you will always go Branch B?

If so that CAN be automated. If it REQUIRES a user to make a choice then its a LOT more complex.

CEWII

• public2 61705 (1/16/2012)

The problem is that I don't have the decision beforehand, it's based on some intermediate results. Looking at those results, I can decide if I want to continue one way or another. Of course, I can create 3 packages (Phase1, BranchA, BranchB), run Phase1, look at the results and then manually run BranchA or BranchB. I thought there should be a simple way to automate this process, but I couldn't find it.

If you can specify your branch-decision rules, this can almost certainly be coded in advance.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Elliott Whitlow (1/16/2012)

Is the process known? What I mean is that if Phase 1 returns X result you will ALWAYS go Branch A, if it returns Y then you will always go Branch B?

If so that CAN be automated. If it REQUIRES a user to make a choice then its a LOT more complex.

CEWII

Damn - you beat me by 2 minutes!

• Phil Parkin (1/16/2012)

Damn - you beat me by 2 minutes!

I have that happen all the time on hot topics..

CEWII

• I hope to eventually offload the whole thing to the users or at least a group of select users. But it seems I'm stuck well before that.

And no, the decision cannot be made automatically, a human brain has to decide which way to go, based on some variables.

• public2 61705 (1/16/2012)

I hope to eventually offload the whole thing to the users or at least a group of select users. But it seems I'm stuck well before that.

And no, the decision cannot be made automatically, a human brain has to decide which way to go, based on some variables.

I think you're trying to push SSIS beyond what it is good for. For your proposed solution to have any chance of working, you would have to install SSIS on the PC of every user who needed to run it. Only then could you achieve your interactive requirement with any elegance.

This sounds like a job for a .NET programmer to me.

• Check out http://www.amberbits.com: they seem to have a general purpose interactive task you can insert in your flows. You'll also need to run their client app which is more complex than DTExecUI supporting interactive tasks and allowing you to run multiple flows at the same time.

Tim

• !!!

• Elliott Whitlow (1/16/2012)

Is the process known? What I mean is that if Phase 1 returns X result you will ALWAYS go Branch A, if it returns Y then you will always go Branch B?

CEWII

What kind of script we have to write to achieve this and where to write it??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply