intellisense not working

• I have a new system on which I installed MSSQL Server 2008 R 2 enterprise, it is my test machine. I have Visual studio 2005 on it as well. SQL Server works good, services are running good and databases as well. The only thing that is not working properly is the intellisense. Of course it is on and enable, the cache has been cleared as well. It seems that intellisense works only when display the object list (i.e. Select * from Objectlist) but nothing else. The space bar does not give me any options after the sql statement, neither the tab completes or gives me options when I'm typing a built-in object. The all caps is turn on and it doesn't work either. I searched and read different forums that point to either visual studio 2010 or sql prompt having to do with it but I don't have either installed on my system. I do have Red Gate SQL Back up though but shouldn't be an issue.

Any help will be very appreciated since I'm at the end of my frustration. When you have a tool you don't realize how much it helps.

Thanks.

• Not clear on one thing: Intellisense in Visual Studio, or Intellisense in SQL Server Management Studio?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I apologize for leaving out the main point of my question. Intellisense is not working in MS SQL Server Management Studio.

• What version of SQL Server is your database on, and what compatibility level is the database? Native SSMS intellisense is affected by that, if I remember correctly. (I use the RedGate version, SQL Prompt, so I'm trying to remember all the things that affect native intellisense.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• This is a brand new installation, both SQL Server 2008 R2 and SSMS are on the same machine. The only database right now that I have on this system is the AdventureWorks and its compatibility level is SQL Server 2008 (100). I can connect to other server instances which are running also SQL Server 2008 R2. On none of those connections the intellisense works. It's a 64 bit machine and I also have MS Visual Studio 2008 and 2005 as well as MS SQL 2005 Express.

• Weird. I guess I'd be poking around in settings if it were me. But sounds like you've already done that.

Call Microsoft? Should have some free support tickets available if it's a new license.

Property of The Thread

• We have a site license so it's only new to this machine, would that count? This is a brand new machine and new installation, the intellisense used to work perfect in my old and slow system. Not sure what's going on and I'm completely baffled.

• Just tried something here and it's still very weird. Since my PC's name is hard to remember I created an alias for the SQL Server instance. So when I connect to the actual PC's name instance and type "select * from (I get no list at all)" but when I connect to the alias and type "select * from (I get a list") weird.

Just more food for thought. maybe something will click in yours or someones mind.

• I don't know. Only way to find out is to ask them.

Of course, it'll probably be something where you end up going, "Ack! How'd I miss that?" and blushing. Seems to always be that way when I end up calling support. Well, either it goes that way, or I end up talking to Tier III Support, and having to teach them things about their software that they didn't know.

Property of The Thread

• Thank you. I'll make sure to post an answer if I ever figure this out.

• Duuhhh!!! You were right, once I figured out what it was it all made sense. Well, we do use some of the red gate software products, especially red gate sql backup. We, the person who setup this machine for me and I failed to check it, did not installed SQL prompt which aids and typing faster all the t-sql scripts. Go figure. I just thought checking to see if that was installed and there is was the main problem. Therefore, my intellisense was not quite as broken as I thought. I think I was, I NEED a vacation :w00t:

• Thank you for your time. I hate for you to waste it like this.

• You're welcome.

Don't worry about the time. This kind of thing happens to all of us.

I've seen situations where hours were spent trying to debug something, but it just kept brick-walling. Then, trying to explain the situation in a post on these forums, the solution suddenly became very, very obvious. Like should have been found in the first 30 seconds.

Heck, I once posted a question that actually answered itself, and I just hadn't realized it. Someone asked "Doesn't your example do what you need?", and I realized it did. Total, "duh!" moment.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply