Install/move reporting service

• I have a question about sql server reporting service.

We currently have a sql server 2005 called for example sql1 that has reporting service installed.

We are going to move everything on the server to a new server called sql2. What we plan is move all the databases there first, then turn off sql1 and rename sql2 to sql1, this way all applications will connect to the new server without changing their connection strings.

The thing I concerned is sql reporting service, I had experience before, if something wrong I need to uninstall and reinstall reporting service, it's hard.There is always something leftover after uninstall, I have to clear registry or uninstall all sql server to fix that.

So I would like suggestions how to make a clean install or move for reporting service. I found some articles said if rename computer, the reporting service may not work. What is best way of doing this? I actually can redeploy those reports to the report server.

Shall I install reporting service after rename the computer to sql1? I will install sql server 2005, sp3. If so, after install service pack3, can I later install only reporting service? I mean this way sp3 will not apply to reporting service, how does this work?

Thanks in advance.

• Reposting msg from other thread :

chris.s.powell (12/1/2010)

We recently just performed this exact scenario as we were wanting to add new hardware but keep the server name and SQL version. The one hang up we ran into with SSRS was getting the SP to apply to the SSRS instance. If you do NOT get this right, you will have a dickens of a time getting SSRS to work.

Pay close attention to the following KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842425

Also I found that IF I had to reinstall SSRS it was best to use SQLRun_RS

Good luck, it can be annoying.

• Can you give a little more detail by what you mean : "The one hang up we ran into with SSRS was getting the SP to apply to the SSRS instance."

Do you mean you install sql server first, then restore databases, rename the computer, and then when you install ssrs, you got the hang up?

Thanks

• if you SSRS is not connect to sharepoint you may fallow this step

1 install SQL2 and apply same SP not install SSRS

2 restore user database

3 recreate security or restore master and msdb (to maintaint subscription ssrs) database

4 shutdown SQL1

5 rename sql2 to SQL1 whith this procedure (dont forget IP adresse) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143799.aspx

6 install/reinstal IIS

7 install SSRS

8 restore SSRS DB default ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB

test on staging environment prio go to production whit this methode and this method require downtime

• Thank you very much.

This looks very helpful.

But i have a question about this, so later if I install SSRS, since sp2(I will install sp3, I think this doesn't matter) is already installed, will the SSRS can be installed on a machine that has already had sp installed?

I mean if installed this way, sp3 will not apply to SSRS?

Thanks

• oups forget reaply SP3 after at the end

• Thanks, but by looking at Ninja's_RGR'us's post above, he said:

" The one hang up we ran into with SSRS was getting the SP to apply to the SSRS instance. If you do NOT get this right, you will have a dickens of a time getting SSRS to work."

That sounds the reapply makes the process hang, I would like to plan ahead and find an easy and clean step that will work smoothly.

• And Ninja's_RGR'us, could you tell me a little bit what problem you have when you applying service pack to SSRS?

I never have an experience of applying sp to only reporting service? What should be the correct step?

Thanks

• Ann Cao (12/1/2010)

And Ninja's_RGR'us, could you tell me a little bit what problem you have when you applying service pack to SSRS?

I never have an experience of applying sp to only reporting service? What should be the correct step?

Thanks

It's not my post nor my expertise. I simply pasted an answer you got in your 1st thread b4 it was moved here. Maybe you can shoot and e-mail to the guy so that he comes back here.

• Sorry, I mean Chris's post

• "Do you mean you install sql server first, then restore databases, rename the computer, and then when you install ssrs, you got the hang up?" - Follow the steps in the KB article for backing up or detaching the databases. Take the server out of the network. Install SQL Server with SSRS on new server. Install any SP making note that the SSRS module is available during this step and then move forward with the steps.

When we installed SQL Server 2005 on the new server I made it a point to install SSRS at that time (thinking it would make the whole process much easier). My problem arose when I applied SP2 (unfortunately we are not at SP3 at this time due to some developing projects) and did not notice in the available modules that SSRS was grayed out and the SP was not applied.

This is where my problem started, compounded by another team member attempting to uninstall SSRS to start over.

Have a look at the following KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938245

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
    Elroy: Nope.
    George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.

• Thank you Chris.

My situation is a little easier, we don't have many reports in the reporting service, I can redeploy it on the new server.

Do you think

1. install sql server, sp3, restore database(I don't need to restore reporting databases, I will redeploy them), rename server, then install IIS, SSRS, reapplying service pack3.

or

2. install sql server with Reporting service first, then do all the other, after rename server, fix problems that may cause for reporting server related with renaming computer.(I have read some articles about problems and fix after renaming computer that has report server)

for no1 above, I never reapply sp to a reporting service, do I have something need to pay attention to?

Thanks

• I am not a real fan of renaming a server after installing SQL, but if you have done this in the past you know what to watch for. As for applying the SP to SSRS, just make certain that the module is available (not grayed out) and you should be fine.

If only I could have redeployed, but we have an entirely too many reports to do this.

Good luck.

Chris Powell

• Thank you, Chris.

Last question about this: when you say: make certain that the module is available (not grayed out) ,

What exactly does it mean, does it mean when you apply sp, you chose reporting service?

Thanks

• Yes, when you apply the SP it looks similar to an installation where you have all the available modules shown. Please make certain to check the SSRS module

Chris Powell

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply