installing SSMS client

• I’m preparing to install SSMS Std Edition on my client workstation so that I can administer Sql Server 2000/2005 remotely.   VS 2005 is already installed on my client (Win XP Pro Ver 2002 SP 2).   My client does not have Sql 2000 tools installed.  The remote servers have Sql Server 2000 SP3 Enterprise Edition and Sql Server 2005 SP1 Std Edition named instances installed side-by-side.  I also have a Virtual Pc on my client that does have Sql Server 2000 tools installed.

Is there anything I need to know before I try the install?  What services do I need to stop on my client?  Do I need to enable any settings?  Will VS 2005 cause any problems?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

• You wanted to install SSMS. first checkif you have .Net framework 2 installed. Also check for MDAC 2.8 as it will be very useful.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Yes .NET framework 2 is installed. MDAC is 2.7.  I'd still like to know about services to stop, settings and any other gothca's. I've read that VS2005 can interfere with the install of the complete SSMS toolset.  Is that true?  Does the Sql 2005 Std Edition have the SSMS client toolset for installation, or is that only the Developer Edition?  I've tried reading up on this, but I'm not sure if some of what I've read only applied to the Beta versions of Sql 2005.  What should be a simple client install seems to be poorly documented and mostly trial and error.  I'd appreciate any sage advise.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply