Installing SQL Server 2008

• Hi Guys,

Im trying to install SQL Server 2008, i have gone through this installation before and when it comes to opening SQL server it ask for a Server name which is unstandable, but unfortunatly in the past i have installed this on my personal laptop and its always set my Server to Local and as i have just brought a new laptop i followed the same procedure which i done last time and for some reason its not adding the server name "local" so i cant get in 🙁 maybe i missed a step?

So what i have done is un-install SQL and now im back at the first step

Can some one advise me on how to install this correctly so i can get started with learning etc....

So far when i come to the installation screen i get these options

1, New SQL Server stand-alone Installation or add features to an existing installation.

2, New sql server Failover cluster installation.

3, add node to a sql server failover cluster.

4, Upgrade from SQL server 2000 or SQL Server 2005.

and Search for product updates

Can some one help me please.... 🙁

this installation is for a personal laptop, thats going to be used for learning etc

• Best advice I can give you is to read the documentation so you know what you're doing. It's available online here.

Do the standalone install. By and large if you accept all defaults, it should install with an unnamed default instance. Personally, I never do it that way. I always name my instances. If you give the instance a name, then you connect servername\instancename.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hi Grant,

Thanks for the information i have just gone through the installation, and i names my Instance SQLSERVER so it would be]

Server Type: Database Engine

Server name: SQLSERVER

Authentication: Windows Authentication

And stll no luck

i get this

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to SQLSERVER.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=53&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Never had this issue before, last time i done it, i just clicked the application icon after installation and the servername box was populated with the instance name.....

• To connect to that, you have to supply the machine name as well as the instance name. MachineName\SQLServer from what you showed ought to do the trick. I suspect you're used to having a defaul instance. That's when you can connect to (local) and have it work. If you didn't make sure to make the instance default, then you have to use the full name.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Opps so true 🙁 got there in the end thanks much appreciated 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply