installing SP2

• Hi all,

I have a sql 2005 RTM though i do not see this build in Microsoft release list.

SQL server 2005 9.00.1406.00 RTM Standard Edition

This is a live server and I have made plans for the service to be unavailable while the upgrade takes place.

Other than making sure i have full backup's

Is there anything i need to know or do before hand?

This is my first time installing a Service pack so i presume it is just a matter of installing and that is it? or is it?

I presume all data accounts etc. will remain in tact after the install and will not require re-installing.

Thanks

• SP2 had some issues, notably Maintenance plans. I'd go to Cumulative update 2 or 3 at least.

• Funny you should say that as that is the reason i am upgrading from the RTM release.

maintanance plan wizard is corrupt and jobs are now failing.

I believe SP2 and adding the Cumulative update package 4 should resolve this.

I just wanted to know what the steps are, is it a simple upgrade with no data loss or do you need to restore the database files after the upgrade?

thanks

• You should not need to restore any db's or users after upgrade to SP2 and whatever cumulative level you want. You will need to restart SQL Server so plan for some down time.

You should always backup all your databases prior to any upgrade, including all the system databases. Upgrade a test server first and test your databases for issues.

David

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply