installing SNMP and WMI before SQL

• I have been investigating the requirements to set up windows servers prior to a SQL installation and I have found a great article from Brent Ozar at

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2008/03/sql-server-2005-setup-checklist-part-1-before-the-install/. There is a section on installing snmp and wmi prior to SQL that states

They need to be installed before the SQL Server install starts because SQL will only create the monitoring mechanisms if SNMP & WMI are already installed.

There are some posts on this point but I haven't found anything to say what the monitoring mechanisms are or how to check if they are present in existing SQL installations. Can anyone explains this and what the consequences of not having them would be?

• I was asking myself the same question after reading the great checklist from Brent Ozar.

This is what I have come up with after some research. There is a SQL Server 2000 article where you can read:

Enabling SNMP Support on SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server support of SNMP is enabled automatically if Microsoft Windows NT support of SNMP is installed on to the computer when you run SQL Server Setup. If SNMP is not installed on the computer when you run the Setup program, SQL Server support of SNMP is not enabled.

Enabling SQL Server Support of SNMP on Windows 95/98

You can monitor remote connections to computers running Microsoft Windows 95/98 if your network uses Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). For more information, see "SNMP Agent" in the Windows 95 Resource Kit (WIN95RK.HLP) or in the Windows 98 Resource Kit tools online help (WIN98RK.HLP).

What I understand from there is SQL Server 2000 installs support for SNMP agents only if SNMP Windows components are already in place. I haven't found any information about SQL Server 2005 or above.

Anyway, this is only useful if you are willing to use a third party monitoring software that will use these SNMP monitoring features.

Don't worry about WMI, I have tried this guide and works perfectly without having to install any of those Windows Components.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply