Installation standards

• Hello SQL Server Experts,

I am new to SQL Server and was wondering, if there's a document out here, which talks about SQL server installation standards? I.E, database files layout, logfiles layout, what raid to use, what services to disable on production SQL serve after setup? All of these stuff.

Apprecaited if someone please share this with me.

Thanks,

California

• California,

Unfortunately there is no single authorative text which will give you a step by step guide. Each environment is unique and has different requirements. Start by finding out what requirements the company has for the SQL install. Some applications may have specific collation requirements, which you may want to address before you start the install.

It's generally best practice to split the data and log files onto seperate disks (preferably seperate RAID groups). If your database is going to be more than 10% writes, you will want to optimise your disk i/o by using RAID 1+0 which is more optimised for writes than RAID 5, which is cheaper and sufficient for read only databases.

As a general rule of thumb, all services on the windows box that aren't used can and should be disabled. Most will be set to manual start anyway, but I would double check. For example, services like FTP, WWW, Netmeeting remote deskop sharing, Smart Card and Telnet are some examples of services that shouldn't need to be used on a SQL Server (unless someones been bad!).

Lastly, google is your friend! Hope this helped a little.

•   Also, document what options you take when you install SQL Server. For instance, the path to the data files and binaries if it is different than the install default. I attempt to keep it as simple as possible and to be consistent across the different installs. Years later it is much easier on you and everyone that works with it. Also, if you have to reinstall in a pinch you know exactly how it was installed.

Services, turn off Microsoft Search if you don't use it. MSDTC if you don't have cross platform queries. They just consume resources that are wasted on your server.

• The Microsoft SQL Server performance tuning technical reference  sets out the information you need, it's not an answer to every situation but it does cover the reasoning and calculations to perform to make your choice, put this with the Admin handbook from ms press and you have a fair set of references.

isbn 0-7356-1270-6

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply