Installation of Workstation tools, etc

• Greetings,

I have a PC (1.5GHz, 1.5GB Ram, 200GB hard drive) that is freshly installed with windows XP Pro. It is fully patched. (SP3, etc). Tried to install the workstation tools, etc so I can install an application we use. I was logged into the box with the local administrator account.

Installation started, installed the Net 2.0, etc. It did the system configuration check which was successful with 0 errors and 0 warnings. When the Components to install box came up, I chose workstation components, books online and development tools. The setup progress box pops up saying the selected components are being configured. Immediately, a box pops up saying ..."There was an unexpected failure during the setup wizard. You may review the setup logs and/or check help". Help shows "message source: setup.rll" and eventtype "packageengine\installpackageaction".

Install ends with a question if I want to send the error to Microsoft.

Looking at the log files, the WI file shows success.

What do I need to do to get this successfully installed ?

thanks for any help.

• Not sure. This is a simple process that should work. I'd uninstall, reboot, reinstall. Might be something flaked.

• I have tried that with the same outcome. I even wiped and re-installed XP Pro.

Is it possible that it is something between XP Sp3 and Sql Server ?

• darryl (6/4/2008)

I have tried that with the same outcome. I even wiped and re-installed XP Pro.

Is it possible that it is something between XP Sp3 and Sql Server ?

Considering some of the ugly errors SP3 has been spewing out on various machines - hard to tell.....

I don't think you can uninstall SP3, so the only other way to test this would be to redo the machine, patch to SP2, see if you can install SSMS, and THEN patch to SP3 on XP...... ugly....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Another question is: Have you tried that installation disk on another machine? Possibly a flaw in the install disk would do something like that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• The install is from images downloaded from Microsoft. You don't get a CD anymore, just a login to Microsoft where you download the software.

I'll try re-downloading the software.

• Probably not a problem with the download. Usually, if those are corrupted, you get an error message when it's downloading. (I have install disks, with fancy packaging and all that.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply