Installation of SSMS (w/Integration Services)

• Good Morning,

Would I run into any issues if I attempted to install the full version of SQL Management Studio (w/Integration Services) on a couple different machines using the CD used to install the SQL Server or would we need separate license keys to do so? We currently have the express editions of SSMS on our workstations and work with the SQL Server without issue. However, the other day a co-worker had asked about using Integration Services which is currently possible by remoting to the server the installation is on and running the full version of SSMS. Is it possible for me to run through the SQL Server installation on our local machines installing only the full version SSMS with Integration Services or are we stuck with the Express Editions? If so, are there any other items that'd be wise for me to install then as well? Thank you for you help and have a great day!

• As far as I know, SSMS is a client tool and therefore doesn't require a licence, whereas Integration Services is part of the server product and therefore does. So I think the answer to your question is no.

John

• Thank you for your response John.

So no to the Integration Services, but I'd be able to install the SSMS tools correct?

• Looks like if you bought a processor license, or each of your clients have specific CAL licenses, you should be ok installing full SSMS on your workstations. See: http://serverfault.com/questions/278187/can-i-use-sql-server-tools-like-management-studio-profiler-on-any-number-of-c (<--LINK)

If you don't have CALs/Proc licenses I suggest you purchase Developer Edition licenses for each of your workstations which will allow you to install SSMS and Developer Edition (read also: Enterprise Edition but you can't use it in productino) of engine. I believe you'll also be able to install SSIS locally with Developer license. As always, consult your local Microsoft reps to find out what specifically your licensed to do, they'll help you figure all that stuff out.

=============================================================
    /* Backups are worthless, Restores are priceless */

Get your learn on at SQL University!
    Follow me on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn
    My blog: http://sqlchicken.com
    My book: Pro Server 2008 Policy-Based Management

• Ah you're correct. The individual who bought the SQL Server licenses is currently out on vacation so it didn't even occur to me about the processor license. I'll go ahead and install the full version of SSMS on our local workstations. Also, I like the developer edition idea for the local workstations as this would give each of us a better test environment to work with so I'll see if I can get that put into the budget :). Thanks for your help and have a great day!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply