Install Reporting Services on an existing instance

• Hi Guys,

I am quite new to Reporting Services and need some help. I want to add Reporting Services to an existing instance of SQL Server but I am getting the following warning on the System Configuration Check step during installation:

To change an existing instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to a different edition of SQL Server 2005, you must run SQL Server 2005 Setup from the command prompt and include the SKUUPGRADE=1 parameter.

Installation Options screen gives me the following error report:

Name: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services

Reason: Your upgrade is blocked. For more information about upgrade support, see the "Version and Edition Upgrades" and "Hardware and Software Requirements" topics in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

Build version check:

Your upgrade is blocked because the existing component is a later version than the version you are trying to upgrade to. To modify an existing SQL Server component, go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, select the component you would like to modify, and then click Change/Remove.

I am installing Reporting Services on SQL server 2005 32 bit version. I have looked and some websites and they suggest that I upgrade the SKUUPGrade parameter to 1. This does not work. I cannot uninstall and reinstall SQL since this is production.

Please help.

IC

• Most times it is ill-adviced to installing reporting services on same production box where OLTP database is but if you budget is well short of expectations and you need to live with it god help you.

Is the edition of reporting services different than the installed SQL server instance ?

Cheers 🙂

Cheer Satish 🙂

• Thanks...i figured it out. I ran this command from cmd prompt and the installation worked:

setup SKUUPGRADE=1 ADDLOCAL=Client_Components UPGRADE=Client_Components

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply