Install and Choosing Root level as Data or Log directory

• I did an install of SQL SErver 2008 and the client wanted to have the data file at the root of the hard disk, and the log file at the root of another hard disk. Prior to me doing install I could browse those harddisks because I am a member of the local admins. After the install I got permission denied. To get around this, I had to grant myself the ability to take ownership of hard disks, which I went to security and set myself as the owner, and then give myself specific rights to each of the harddisks, even though there was local admins already assigned the rights to do everything.

So is there something I don't know about installing sql server data directories to the root directory that affects the permissions? There were files there before and after the install.

I don't do a bunch of installs,

--so i guess from now on i will use default directories and just change this in the server settings.

--on a side note, is moving the master db a good practice?

• what account in SQL server running under?

it should be this account that needs access to the disk

• running under local admin -- i know.. but client says do it.

but sql server is fine.. i was not able to browse the harddisk until i took all those steps i described in the post , and i am a member of the local admins group that had access before the install.

• I would advise against installing the database files to the root of a disk.

The service account of SQL server, that is added to local admin?

As for moving master - that is a typical practice. Some of that depends on the disk setup of the client.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• oops i meant that sql server was running as local system account and i was in the local admin group.

i moved the master once, and i followed the instructions from BOL, but when I brought the server back up it (event log) said that the master db was corrupt. i think when i moved the files, something must have happened.

this was a new install - i didn't do the initial one, so i decided to just re-install.

But when it was done i could not browse the harddisks until i re-permissioned myself to do so.

• Is this by chance running on Windows Server 2008? If so, then you need to realize (and your client) that the root of drives is more protected on this OS than previously.

I would never choose to put data base files at the root of any drive (LUN). Personally, I use the same structure on every LUN that you will find that MS uses without the instance specific folder.

For example, on my data drive - I have the following folder structure: {drive}:\MSSQL\Data

On my log drive I have: {drive}:\MSSQL\Data

When I build a system, I create a system database drive that is only 5GB. During the installation, I select the Advanced option and move the data files to this drive - specifying only the drive letter. When I do that, all binaries are installed on the system partition - usually the C:\ drive - and all of the SQL Server data files are installed on this system drive. This will build the following:

{drive}:\MSSQL.n\MSSQL\...

The default folders are all created - Backup, Data, Log, etc... The system database are in the Data folder.

I then modified the location of TempDB and move it to a dedicated LUN. I modify the default locations for user databases and log files to my dedicated LUN's for each of those types of files.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• OS or Network Level rights depends on the SQL Server Service Account ,so you must have an access rights on the particular folder or drive on the service account

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan (5/30/2011)

OS or Network Level rights depends on the SQL Server Service Account ,so you must have an access rights on the particular folder or drive on the service account

did you even read what he wrote?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply