Inserting Trademark (TM) Logo in a table

• Hi everyone,

I am trying to insert a TM logo into a field in a table and am having problems. On one database, it works fine:

SELECT CHAR(153) returns me ™

On another, I get back Ö

I thought perhaps it was a collation issue, as the one that works has a collation of SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, and the one that doesn't has a collation of SQL_Latin1_General_Pref_CP850_CI_AS.

So I tried doing this:

SELECT CHAR(153) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

But I still get back the Ö.

Does anyone know how to return the proper value?

Thanks!

• What does nchar(8482) give you?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• You rock...it gives me the logo!!! Thanks!

• Vicki, can you please tell whats the reason behind storing trademark into a table, whats the business reason for it?

Thanks

• We sell products that are registered trademarks, so we have to display that when we display the item.

• This should work, too:

SELECT N'™'

• It does, thank you very much.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Is it a setting somewhere.

• It's the collation.

Check out the data on "Code page 850" online. Character 153 is the O with dots, not the TM, in that code page.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hmm...so I guess then you can't just change the collation in the SELECT, as I tried to do. Initially we figured it was collation, but using the COLLATE keyword didn't work.

• Nah. If the default is overriding the character set, setting the collation for the select won't fix that.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply