insert in batches

• Sam Bendayan (11/21/2011)

By "inserting in batches" do you mean breaking up the insert into batches? Such as doing 10,000 rows at a time instead of doing all 1 billion rows at once?

If so, you can use a WHILE loop:

declare @SourceRowCount int

select @SourceRowCount = COUNT(*) FROM source_table

WHILE ((SELECT COUNT(*) FROM destination_table) < @SourceRowCount)

BEGIN

INSERT INTO destinationtable

SELECT TOP 10000 column_list FROM source_table

END

This code lacks any mechanism to SELECT . . . INSERT TOP 10000 rows that haven't already been inserted into destinationtable. If source_table has 100000 rows, this code could insert the same 10000 source_table rows 10 times over, all 100000 source_table rows, or any combination in between. I don't think that's what the OP wants!

Jason Wolfkill

• Tara-1044200 (11/18/2011)

Can someone help me doing insert as select * into tab1 in a batches. I have almost billion records to insert and i think inserting in batches would be best way.

Is it safe to assume there's an identity column or something similar on this?

If it is, just do something like this:

DECLARE @Current INT, @Final INT

SET @Current = 0

SELECT @Final = SELECT MAX(identitycolumn) FROM view

WHILE @Current < @Final

BEGIN

INSERT INTO tab1

SELECT *

FROMview

WHEREidentityColumn > @Current AND identityColumn <= @Current + 500000

SET @Current = @Current + 500000

END

With Dates, you can do something similar with date functions. You just need to find a way to break it up repeatably.

On a side note, I'm one of the local cheerleaders for SSIS. I wouldn't use it for this, not in the same database.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (11/22/2011)

With Dates, you can do something similar with date functions. You just need to find a way to break it up repeatably.

On a side note, I'm one of the local cheerleaders for SSIS. I wouldn't use it for this, not in the same database.

I would agree, except that in this case there doesn't appear to be anything to uniquely identify the rows that you can then key off of.

With SSIS - you would also have to be concerned with network traffic and/or memory utilization on the server.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply