INFORMATION_SCHEMA question

• Hi there,

I wish someone out there could give me a hand. I am having a problem for finding all tables in the database with reference to the specified table using INFORMATION_SCHEDMA view. Currently, I am using the following statement to achieve my task but I learned that this statement might not return a 100% accuracy.

SELECT DISTINCT o.name

FROM sysobjects o, sysforeignkeys f, sysobjects r

WHERE o.id = f.fkeyid

AND f.rkeyid = r.id

AND r.name = 'PSSL_T_PERSON'

Anyone can offer me a solution?

Millions thanks,

AC

• Try this:

exec sp_MSforeachtable @command1 = "select top 1 * from ?"

Of course, you can replace the SQL command inside the quotes to be whatever you want, including calling another stored procedure. Just use ? where you want the name of the table.

• Thanks Gregj,

I tried to run your recommended sp; however, it seems to me that this sp doesn't meet my requirement for returning all table names that reference to constraint for the specific table name. Does it make sense!!

AC

• Yes, I understand now. I was too quick in trying to reply and didn't completely read your problem. Maybe I can reply later with something that actually helps!

• quote:

...using INFORMATION_SCHEDMA view.

I had to do this a while ago and remember it seemed a little ummm non-intuitive...well tricky anyway as it involves a loop join if thats what you call it?...

declare @SourceTable varchar(128)

set @sourcetable = 'customers'

SELECT

tc1.Table_name

FROMINFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLE_CONSTRAINTS tc1

LEFT join INFORMATION_SCHEMA.REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS rc1 ON tc1.constraint_Name = rc1.constraint_Name

LEFT join INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLE_CONSTRAINTS tc2 ON tc2.constraint_Name = rc1.unique_constraint_Name

WHERE

tc1.Constraint_Type = 'FOREIGN KEY' AND

LOWER(tc2.Table_name) = LOWER(@SourceTable) --Tables Referencing the Source Table

--compared to yours...

SELECT DISTINCT o.name

FROM sysobjects o, sysforeignkeys f, sysobjects r

WHERE o.id = f.fkeyid

AND f.rkeyid = r.id

AND r.name = 'customers'

Edited by - brendonsmith on 02/24/2003 7:10:58 PM

• Try sp_fkeys.

Check http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/contributions/246.asp contributed by cneuhold

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 02/25/2003 07:51:18 AM

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 02/25/2003 07:52:31 AM

• Thanks for you guys. The suggestion from BrendonSmith works for me. Again, I am very appreciated for you guys response.

AC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply